Charles, Connecticut wrap up Big East titleFeb 21, 2007 - 6:24 AM TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) -- Freshman Tina Charles scored a season-high 34 points and collected 17 rebounds to help No. 4 Connecticut clinch the Big East Conference regular season title with an 81-67 victory over South Florida.
Charde Houston had 18 points and 10 rebounds for Connecticut (25-2, 14-0 Big East) earning their fifteenth conference title and extending a 12 game-winning streak. A junior forward, Houston went over 1,000 points for her career.
The 6-4 Charles made 14-of-19 shots from the floor as the Huskies held a 54-28 advantage in points in the paint. It was the ninth double-double of the season for Charles, who also had three blocked shots.
Nalini Miller scored 18 points and was one of four players in double figures for South Florida (18-9, 8-6), which shot a mere 38 percent (25-of-66) from the field and 5-of-15 from the arc.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (3) 38 43 81
SOUTH FLORIDA 32 35 67 FINAL
Feb 20 9:02 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
CONNECTICUT (3) 38
SOUTH FLORIDA 32 HALFTIME
Feb 20 7:51 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2