Ajavon leads Rutgers to fifth straight winFeb 24, 2007 - 9:03 PM SOUTH BEND, Indiana (Ticker) -- Matee Ajavon's big second half helped Rutgers clinch a first-round bye in the upcoming Big East tournament.
Ajavon scored 26 points - 20 in the second half - to lead the Scarlet Knights to a 76-60 victory over Big East Conference foe Notre Dame.
The win was the fifth in a row for Rutgers and locked up second place in the conference behind undefeated Connecticut.
The No. 22 Scarlet Knights (19-7, 12-3 Big East) shot 54 percent in the second half (14-of-26) to extend a 29-28 halftime lead. Ajavon scored 15 straight points for Rutgers over a seven-minute span, capped off by a 3-pointer at the 3:46 mark to push the lead to 65-53.
Notre Dame (19-9, 10-5) had won six straight games before Saturday's loss, dropping it into a tie for fourth place in the league and puts a first-round conference tournament bye in jeopardy.
Charel Allen led the Fighting Irish with 20 points and seven rebounds for the Fighting Irish.
Essence Carson added 17 points and Epiphanny Prince scored 13 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for Rutgers, which ends the regular season Monday at No. 3 Connecticut.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
RUTGERS (22) 29 47 76
NOTRE DAME 28 32 60 FINAL
Feb 24 1:52 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
RUTGERS (22) 29
NOTRE DAME 28 HALFTIME
Feb 24 12:47 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5