Connecticut concludes perfect run through Big EastFeb 27, 2007 - 3:43 AM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Renee Montgomery scored 21 points and third-ranked Connecticut finished a perfect run through the Big East Conference with a 70-44 rout of No. 22 Rutgers.
Connecticut (27-2, 16-0) finishes the season with an undefeated conference record for the first time since the 2003-04 season and for the sixth time in program history.
The Huskies scored the final 15 points of the first half over a 6:19 span to take a 31-21 lead. Mel Thomas, who scored 16 points, had eight points in the run for Connecticut, which has won 13 straight.
Charde Houston scored 11 points for the Huskies, who improved to 100-7 in Big East regular season games since January 18, 2001, and 20-4 in the all-time series vs. Rutgers.
Essence Carson scored 17 points for Rutgers (19-8, 12-4), which was held scoreless over the final 6:39 of the first half.
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2