Atunrase leads Texas A&M to tourney titleNov 26, 2006 - 2:58 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Morenike Atunrase is back in a groove and so is Texas A&M.
Atunrase scored 22 points to lead the 13th-ranked Aggies to a 77-52 rout of Loyola Marymount in the championship game of the Loyola Marymount Ayres Hotel Thanksgiving Classic.
Texas A&M had to battle back from a six-point halftime deficit to edge West Virginia, 55-52, in the first round of the tournament on Friday night. The Aggies shot a season-low 39 percent in that game, including Atunrase's 6-for-16 effort.
The Aggies (5-0) looked like a different team one night later, as Atunrase hit 8-of-14 shots and helped her team to a 53 percent (32-of-61) shooting performance. She was 3-of-4 from 3-point range.
Takia Starks scored 18 points and Patrice Reado added 10 and 11 rebounds for A&M, which outrebounded Loyola Marymount, 43-31. That was also a marked improvement from the previous night, when the Aggies were dominated on the glass, 39-24.
Amanda DeCoud scored 11 points to pace the Lions (3-3), who shot just 34 percent (21-of-61).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Howard sets NCAA Tournament rebound record in Aggies win Mar 19
- Texas A&M suspends Courtney Williams and Shlonte Allen Mar 19
- Missouri St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 18
- Tennessee women beat No. 15 A&M 70-60 for 3rd straight win Mar 4
- No. 15 Kentucky women defeat No. 11 Texas A&M 71-58 Feb 28
- No. 11 Texas A&M women win 6th straight, beat Auburn 57-49 Feb 25
- No. 12 Texas A&M women win 20th, beat Vanderbilt 75-63 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women pull away in 4th, beat LSU 68-54 Feb 18
- No. 12 Texas A&M women beat Ole Miss 62-48 Feb 15