Mahoney leads Kentucky past Southern IllinoisNov 26, 2006 - 3:55 AM SAN FRANCISCO (Ticker) -- Samantha Mahoney scored 17 points to lead five players in double figures as No. 24 Kentucky defeated Southern Illinois, 78-59, in the Odwalla Classic.
The Wildcats (3-2) bounced back from a stunning 86-70 loss to Delaware in the opening round of the tournament Friday night.
Sarah Elliott, Kentucky's 6-6 center, scored 12 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, helping the Wildcats outscore the Salukis, 38-10, in the paint.
Nastassia Alcius scored 11 points and Carly Ormerod and Jenny Pfeiffer added 10 apiece for Kentucky, which shot 46 percent (31-of-67) and committed just eight turnovers.
The Wildcats led, 45-32, at halftime.
Carlai Moore led Southern Illinois (1-4) with 27 points on 10-of-13 shooting. The Salukis shot 50 percent (22-of-44) but committed 23 turnovers that led to 26 points for the Wildcats.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky thrashes UNC Asheville 85-31 in NCAA opener Mar 19
- UNC Asheville-Kentucky Preview Mar 18