Williams leads Vanderbilt to tournament titleNov 26, 2006 - 12:26 AM NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Caroline Williams had the same answer for every California rally.
Williams scored 18 points to lead 14th-ranked Vanderbilt to a 67-55 victory over No. 17 California in the championship game of the Vanderbilt Thanksgiving Tournament.
Named the tournament MVP, Williams hit five 3-pointers, including a pair that stopped two comeback efforts by the Golden Bears.
Carla Thomas scored 16 points for the Commodores (6-0), who used a 17-0 run spanning the first and second half to open a 39-20 lead on a layup by Williams with 16:20 to play.
California (4-1), behind eight points by Ashley Walker, closed the deficit to 49-40 with 6:37 left, only to see Williams bury a 3-pointer 18 seconds later to get the lead back into double digits.
The Golden Bears again got within nine, at 62-53, with 1:44 to go, but Williams connected from the arc once more to restore the lead to a dozen with 1:17 remaining.
Walker scored 19 points for California, which shot 39 percent (20-of-51) from the floor.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Balcomb steps down as Vanderbilt women's basketball coach Apr 27
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- Reed, Vanderbilt women roll to 74-59 victory over Ole Miss Mar 2
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- Reed leads Vanderbilt women, upset No. 24 Missouri 56-52 Feb 28
- Vivians scores 21 in No. 16 Mississippi State's 66-61 win Feb 25
- No. 12 Texas A&M women win 20th, beat Vanderbilt 75-63 Feb 21
- No. 22 Florida women beat Vanderbilt 79-67 Feb 18