Stanford edges USC to win Pac-10 outrightFeb 26, 2007 - 1:12 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Freshman Jayne Appel scored 14 points and grabbed nine rebounds to help No. 10 Stanford win the Pacific-10 Conference outright with a 56-53 victory over Southern California.
Brooke Smith collected 13 points and Kristen Newlin added 10 and nine rebounds for the Cardinals (24-4, 16-1 Pac-10), who have won six in a row.
Melanie Murphy had eight points and 10 assists for Stanford, which shot 36 percent (21-of-59) from the field.
Chloe Kerr scored nine of her 11 points in the first half as USC (16-11, 10-7) took a 29-28 lead into the break. The Trojans shot a dismal 27 percent (9-of-33) in the second half.
Kerr also had 10 rebounds and two blocks for USC, which made just 3-of-17 shots from 3-point range.
Eshaya Murphy collected 13 points and seven rebounds for the Trojans, who shot 29 percent (18-of-63) and closed out their season with two straight losses.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
USC 29 24 53
STANFORD (10) 28 28 56 FINAL
Feb 25 4:57 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
STANFORD (10) 28 HALFTIME
Feb 25 3:49 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18