Wieben, Iowa State women run past WashingtonMar 17, 2007 - 10:32 PM MINNEAPOLIS (Ticker) -- A pair of big first-half runs and a second-half surge by Nicky Wieben were enough for Iowa State to overcome a slow start.
Wieben scored 18 points and the sixth-seeded Cyclones advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the sixth time in school history with a 79-60 victory over 11th-seeded Washington in a first-round matchup in the Dallas Region.
Wieben was 8-of-11 from the field overall and scored 11 points in the second half. Toccara Ross, Alison Lacey and Lyndsey Medders each scored 12 points for the Cyclones (26-8).
Iowa State fell into an early 15-6 hole. A 3-pointer by Medders started an 11-0 run that Ross capped with a jumper to give the Cyclones a 17-15 lead.
The Cyclones held the Huskies without a basket for over eight minutes and closed the first half with a 17-4 run to take a 39-26 lead.
Cameo Hicks scored 19 points for Washington (18-13), which trailed by as many as 20 in the second half.
Iowa State will face the winner of the Georgia-Belmont game on Monday.
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB DALLAS REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WASHINGTON (11) 26 34 60
IOWA ST (6) 39 40 79 FINAL
Mar 17 2:01 PM
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (11) WASHINGTON 26
(6) IOWA ST 39 HALFTIME
Mar 17 12:50 PM
- Washington coach Mike Neighbors signs contract extension May 13
- Iowa State's Bill Fennelly, sued by ex-star, defends self Apr 29
- Moody's attorney, Iowa State disagree on university ruling Apr 19
- APNewsBreak: Former Iowa St star Nikki Moody sues coach Apr 18
- Washington women crack under Syracuse pressure, 80-59 Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25