Smith, Stanford pound on Idaho St. in opening roundMar 18, 2007 - 12:27 AM STANFORD, California (Ticker) -- Brooke Smith scored 29 points and grabbed nine rebounds to help put second-seeded Stanford over the top against the No. 15 Idaho State, 96-58, in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament's Fresno Region.
Candice Wiggins had 16 points and Cissy Pierce added 14 for the Cardinal (29-4), who advanced to face No. 10 Florida State on Monday in the second round.
Stanford, which is coming off its school-record seventh straight Pac-10 title, won its NCAA opener for the ninth straight year.
Stanford led 45-24 at the break and continued to dominate in the second half, outscoring Idaho State, 51-34, while shooting 55 percent (41-of-75) from the floor.
Natalie Doma was the lone Bengals (17-14) player to score in double figures with 32 points on 12-of-25 shooting. She also had seven rebounds, even though her team was pounded on the boards by a 53-20 margin.
The champion of the Big Sky Conference, Idaho State shot 34 percent (20-of-59) from the field, including 8-of-21 on 3-pointers.
- FRESNO REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB FRESNO REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
IDAHO ST (15) 24 34 58
STANFORD (2) 45 51 96 FINAL
Mar 17 6:30 PM
- FRESNO REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (15) IDAHO ST 24
(2) STANFORD 45 HALFTIME
Mar 17 5:34 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18