Lechlitner leads Notre Dame to second roundMar 18, 2007 - 8:14 PM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Melissa Lechlitner gave Notre Dame something to celebrate this weekend.
Lechlitner hit a jumper and a pair of free throws in the final 1:37 to lead ninth-seeded Notre Dame to a 62-59 victory over eighth-seeded California in the first round of the Dallas Region in the Women's NCAA Tournament.
The Notre Dame men's team was seeded sixth, but lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Winthrop last Friday.
The Notre Dame women raced to a 14-4 lead in the first 5:21 as Charel Allen scored seven points.
The Fighting Irish (20-11) increased the lead to 36-25 on a jumper by Tulyah Gaines 58 seconds into the second half.
California (23-9) went on a 21-9 run over the next nine minutes, claiming its first lead of the game, 46-45, on a 3-pointer by Krista Fowler with 9:51 left. Ashley Walker scored eight points of her 20 points in the spurt.
Lechlitner hit a jumper in a decisive 7-0 run and added a pair of free throws with one second left.
Notre Dame will likely face top-seeded North Carolina in the second round.
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB DALLAS REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NOTRE DAME (9) 32 30 62
CALIFORNIA (8) 23 36 59 FINAL
Mar 18 2:06 PM
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (9) NOTRE DAME 32
(8) CALIFORNIA 23 HALFTIME
Mar 18 12:58 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6