Hornebuckle helps Tennessee edge Drake in NCAA openerMar 19, 2007 - 4:22 AM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Coach Pat Summitt and Tennessee woke up in the second half.
Alexis Hornbuckle scored 14 points and Candace Parker added 13 with six rebounds as the top-seeded Lady Vols breezed to a 76-31 triumph over No. 16 Drake in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.
Tennessee (29-3) will meet eighth-seeded Pittsburgh (24-8) in the second round of the Dayton Regional on Tuesday.
After a lackluster opening half, the Lady Vols turned things up following the break with an impressive 30-2 surge and never looked back. Shannon Bobbitt netted 10 points during the run.
Tennessee shot a blistering 60 percent (20-of-33) from the floor in the second half.
Lindsay Whorton scored nine points and Monique Jones chipped in eight and eight rebounds for Drake (14-19), which shot just 21 percent (12-of-56) and committed 19 turnovers.
- DAYTON REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB DAYTON REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DRAKE (16) 14 23 37
TENNESSEE (1) 30 46 76 FINAL
Mar 18 8:56 PM
- DAYTON REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (16) DRAKE 14
(1) TENNESSEE 30 HALFTIME
Mar 18 7:52 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21