Latta imposes will on Irish; Tar Heels avoid upsetMar 21, 2007 - 5:11 AM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Senior leadership is priceless in the NCAA Tournament. North Carolina had Ivory Latta and Notre Dame didn't.
Latta scored 16 of her 17 points in the second half, all from the free-throw line, as top-seeded North Carolina held off upset-minded Notre Dame, 60-51, in a second-round Dallas Region contest.
LaToya Pringle scored 10 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for the Tar Heels (32-3), who will play fifth-seeded George Washington in the region semifinals on Sunday.
Latta got to the free-throw line eight times during the second half and scored the Tar Heels' final 12 points from the line.
Charel Allen hit 4-of-6 from the arc and scored 21 points for the ninth-seeded Irish (20-12), who were 2-0 all-time against the Tar Heels.
Notre Dame led by as many as eight points with just under 13 minutes to play, but North Carolina went on a 17-4 run to take a 50-45 lead with three minutes left. Latta then iced the game from the line.
The Tar Heels' shot 14-of-15 from the line in the second half and held the Irish to just 9-of-30 shooting in the second half. Carolina held Notre Dame scoreless for six minutes during its decisive run.
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB DALLAS REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NOTRE DAME (9) 28 23 51
NORTH CAROLINA (1) 29 31 60 FINAL
Mar 20 11:43 PM
- DALLAS REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (9) NOTRE DAME 28
(1) NORTH CAROLINA 29 HALFTIME
Mar 20 10:30 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5