Parker leads Tennessee past PittsburghMar 21, 2007 - 2:34 AM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Candace Parker was the force behind Tennessee advancing to its 26th consecutive regional semifinal appearance.
Parker had 30 points and 12 rebounds to lead the top-seeded Volunteers to a 68-54 triumph over eighth-seeded Pittsburgh.
Tennessee, which has never lost during the opening two rounds of the tournament, will face 13th-seeded Marist on Sunday.
The Volunteers (30-3) jumped out to a 23-9 advantage on Parker's free throw midway through the first half. It closed the opening 20 minutes on an 8-3 spurt to take a 40-24 halftime lead.
Pittsburgh (24-9) was able to cut the deficit to 54-44 on two free throws by Marcedes Walker with 8:16 to play but could get no closer as Parker scored the next six points to put the game out of reach.
Sidney Spencer scored 11 points and Nicky Anosike and Shannon Bobbitt each added 10 for Tennessee, which shot 50 percent (26-of-52) and won the battle of the boards, 36-24.
Walker scored 19 points and Shavonte Zellous netted 18 for the Panthers, who shot 43 percent (20-of-47) from the field.
- DAYTON REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB DAYTON REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PITTSBURGH (8) 24 30 54
TENNESSEE (1) 40 28 68 FINAL
Mar 20 9:10 PM
- DAYTON REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (8) PITTSBURGH 24
(1) TENNESSEE 40 HALFTIME
Mar 20 8:03 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21