Purdue exacts revenge on Georgia, advances to regional finalMar 26, 2007 - 2:33 AM DALLAS (Ticker) -- Purdue got some sweet revenge. Katie Gearlds made sure of it.
Gearlds scored 30 points and Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton added 24 as the second-seeded Boilermakers used a huge second half to post a 78-65 victory over No. 3 Georgia in the NCAA Tournament's Dallas Region semifinal.
Purdue (31-5) won the national title in 1999 and was the runner-up in 2001, but it had not reached a regional final since 2003. Georgia had a hand in that, edging the Boilermakers, 66-64, in the regional semifinals in 2004.
With this win, Purdue will play either top-seeded North Carolina or George Washington with a berth in the Final Four on the line Tuesday.
Gearlds made sure that the Lady Bulldogs would get the better of the Boilermakers again, shooting 10-of-16 from the field, including 4-of-8 on 3-pointers.
Wisdom-Hylton was 8-of-12 from the floor and 8-of-11 from the free-throw line and Danielle Campbell added 11 points for Purdue, which outscored Georgia, 43-29, after halftime.
The Lady Bulldogs' Janese Hardrick, who scored 17 points to lead Georgia in its win three years ago, had just three points on 1-of-7 shooting, including 0-of-4 from the arc, on Sunday.
Tasha Humphrey scored 20 points on 9-of-17 shooting for Georgia (27-7), which shot 43 percent (24-of-56).
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Indiana-Georgia Preview Mar 18
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- DeShields bounces back, helps Lady Vols rip Georgia 80-60 Feb 28
- Georgia senior Barbee has surgery for season-ending injury Feb 23
- Georgia women knock off No. 22 Florida 74-63 Feb 21
- Mitchell scores 19, leads SEC champ No. 3 Gamecocks to win Feb 18