Nevada capitalizes on Northwestern miscuesSep 23, 2006 - 5:03 AM RENO, Nevada (Ticker) -- Robert Hubbard rushed for a career-high 156 yards and scored two touchdowns to lead Nevada to a 31-21 win over Northwestern.
Jeff Rowe completed 17-of-22 passes for 197 yards and two touchdown for the Wolfpack, who took advantage of five Northwestern turnovers to recorded their first win over a Big Ten school. Nevada (2-2) won its seventh straight game at home.
Hubbard, who had a season-high 32 carries, scored on a three-yard touchdown run with 1:07 left in the first quarter to give the Wolfpack a 17-7 lead.
Tyrell Sutton opened the scoring with a three-yard TD run for Northwestern (2-2), but his fumble was one of three turnovers on the team's next five snaps, allowing Nevada to score 17 unanswered points.
Rowe tied the game at 7-7 with a 25-yard touchdown pass to Hubbard, and his second TD pass to Mike McCoy midway through the second quarter put Nevada up, 24-14, at halftime.
Northwestern quarterback Mike Kafka went 9-of-21 for 122 yards and rushed for 111 yards on 12 carries, but he was intercepted three times, twice by cornerback Joe Garcia.
The redshirt freshman scored on a 13-yard run 71 seconds into the fourth quarter to pull Northwestern within 24-21. However, his last interception was returned 24 yards for a TD by Garcia with 2:14 left to play.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Iowa headlines uncertain Big Ten West Apr 13
- Maryland hires Andy Buh as its next defensive coordinator Apr 5
- Northwestern adds receivers to an anemic offense Feb 3
- Jafar Williams hired as running backs coach at Rutgers Jan 21
- Northwestern, Vols take 5-game win streaks into Outback Bowl Dec 31
- Outback Bowl Capsule Dec 31
- Arizona Bowl Preview Capsule Dec 28
- Inaugural Arizona Bowl to have Mountain West flavor Dec 28
- 2015 Associated Press All-Big Ten football team Dec 15
- MWC not happy with Colorado St, Nevada playing in same bowl Dec 8
- Arizona Bowl-Matchup Dec 6
- Outback Bowl Matchup Dec 6