Leonard, Rice run Rutgers past I-AA HowardSep 23, 2006 - 10:35 PM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Brian Leonard and Ray Rice paced a productive rushing attack that has Rutgers off to its best start in more than 25 years.
Leonard and Rice combined for five of the Scarlet Knights' seven rushing touchdowns in a 56-7 victory over Division I-AA Howard.
Rutgers (4-0) is off to its best start since 1980 and has its ground game to thank. The Scarlet Knights outrushed the Bison, 215-48, and pulled away in the second quarter.
Leonard, who rushed for 62 yards on 10 carries, scored on runs of five and one yard and Rice scored on a three-yard carry to give Rutgers a 28-0 lead at the half.
Rice finished with 105 yards on 23 carries and scored on runs of one and two yards in the third quarter. Kordell Young added a pair of rushing TDs for the Scarlet Knights.
Howard (0-3) averted the shutout with 6:28 to play on a 70-yard fumble return for a TD by defensive back Thomas Claiborn.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- 2016 FCS vs. FBS: MEAC May 18
- Taking note: Ash brings bits of Bielema and Meyer to Rutgers May 12
- 'Celebration' first in bowl lineup May 4
- Ash bringing order back to Rutgers' scandal marred football Apr 25
- MEAC-SWAC Challenge moves to campus sites Apr 22
- Five from FCS receive postseason bans Apr 20
- Howard hopes to bounce back Apr 20
- Big Ten East loses top stars, but new ones are set to emerge Apr 14
- Fast track: Early enrollment now common in college football Apr 9
- MEAC's draft candidates stronger than SWAC's Apr 8
- Chris Ash opens first spring practice at Rutgers as coach Mar 24
- MEAC spring football primer Mar 8