Freshman duo, Alabama kicker give Arkansas overtime victorySep 24, 2006 - 1:28 AM FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas (Ticker) -- Mitch Mustain and Ben Cleveland gave Arkansas something to look forward to. Leigh Tiffin's performance was something that will take Alabama a long time to forget.
After Tiffin missed an extra point in the second overtime, Mustain and Cleveland hooked up for a score and Jeremy Davis added the point after to lift the Razorbacks to a 24-23 Southeastern Conference victory over the Crimson Tide.
The missed extra point capped a rough day for Tiffin, who missed from 33 yards in the second quarter, 30 with 3:06 left in the fourth period and a 37-yarder in the first overtime that would have won the game.
Tiffin's miss in the second overtime came after a one-yard TD pass from John Parker Wilson to Nick Walker gave Alabama (3-1, 1-1 SEC West) a 23-17 lead.
Mustain had his own share of problems, completing only 7-of-22 passes for 97 yards and three interceptions. But he came through in the clutch to help the Razorbacks (3-1, 2-0 West) improve to 6-1 in overtime games.
Darren McFadden started the game-winning drive with a 12-yard run. After McFadden picked up another two yards and an incompletion, Mustain and Cleveland - both freshmen - brought back memories of their days at Springdale High in Arkansas with an 11-yard TD pass to set up the winning kick by Jeremy Davis, who missed an extra point in the third quarter.
Wilson completed 16-of-20 passes for 243 yards and three TDs for Alabama.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson, teammate arrested May 17
- Alabama hires Karl Dunbar as defensive line coach May 12
- Alabama dismisses JUCO transfer Charles Baldwin from team May 12
- Taking note: Ash brings bits of Bielema and Meyer to Rutgers May 12
- Texas A&M sheds some swagger and tries to change trajectory May 6
- Correction: Troy Football Player Killed story May 5
- Troy University football player killed in motorcycle crash May 2
- Alabama defensive line coach Bo Davis resigns Apr 29
- Confident Allen settling in as starting QB for Arkansas Apr 23
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Alabama's young QBs shine in spring-ending scrimmage Apr 16