Nickson helps Vanderbilt roll over I-AA Tennessee StSep 24, 2006 - 4:42 AM NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Vanderbilt finally has its first victory since the departure of Jay Cutler.
Chris Nickson threw for two touchdowns and ran for another score as the Commodores pulled away from Division I-AA Tennessee State, 38-9.
Nickson completed 9-of-13 passes for 108 yards and an interception for Vanderbilt (1-3), which has struggled this season since record-setting quarterback Cutler went off to the NFL's Denver Broncos.
Nickson gave the Commodores the lead for good with a five-yard TD toss to Marlon White that opened the scoring with 1:11 left in the first quarter.
Vanderbilt's lead was just 10-3 with less than two minutes to go in the third quarter when Tigers quarterback Antonio Heffner threw a pass from his own end zone that Marcus Buggs intercepted for a touchdown.
A fumble on the ensuing kickoff led to a six-yard TD run by Nickson for a 24-3 lead. After an interception by Reshard Langford, Nickson threw a 33-yard TD to Earl Bennett for a 31-3 cushion just 40 seconds into the final period.
Heffner went 10-of-21 for 159 yards, a TD and two interceptions for the Tigers (2-2).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- 2016 FCS vs. FBS: Ohio Valley Conference May 16
- With ban lifted, SEC coaches gearing up for satellite camps May 4
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Vanderbilt rape victim condemns jury verdict for ex-player Apr 9
- Former Vanderbilt football player found guilty of rape Apr 9
- The Latest: Ex-Vanderbilt football player guilty of rape Apr 9
- Former Vanderbilt University football player found guilty of dorm room rape Apr 9
- Alleged victim in Vanderbilt rape case breaks down Apr 8
- New rape trial opens for former Vanderbilt football players Apr 4
- New Vols defensive coordinator Shoop appreciates history Apr 4
- Rape trial for 1 former Vanderbilt player to start Monday Mar 29
- Ohio Valley Conference spring football primer Mar 7