Leak helps Florida to 20th straight win over KentuckySep 24, 2006 - 3:44 AM GAINESVILLE, Florida (Ticker) -- Florida just keeps coming out on top against Kentucky.
Chris Leak threw for 268 yards and two touchdowns and DeShawn Wynn ran for a score as fifth-ranked Florida posted a 26-7 victory over Kentucky in a Southeastern Conference matchup.
Dallas Baker hauled in seven catches for a career-high 148 yards for the Gators (4-0, 2-0 SEC East), who extended their winning streak over the Wildcats to 20 since a loss in 1986.
With less than two minutes left in the opening half and the Gators facing 7-6 deficit, Leak perfectly orchestrated a seven-play, 78-yard drive that Wynn capped with a 13-yard rushing TD. Florida's lead was just 12-7 at the half after having both extra-point attempts blocked.
The Gators pushed their advantage to 12 after Kestahn Moore punched in a score from five yards out with 7:09 left in the third quarter, capping a seven-play, 75-yard drive.
"On the first drive, we went down and scored, but then it felt like we were stopped, Florida coach Urban Meyer said. "We were very much out of sync, and we were panicking on plays. We felt too much urgency at times, but we came back and dominated the second half."
Leak, who completed 15-of-26 passes, threw a six-yard TD strike to Cornelius Ingram for his second score of the evening with 9:26 remaining in the contest.
Andre Woodson went 26-of-38 for 208 yards and a touchdown for the Wildcats (2-2, 1-1 East), who were held to 39 yards rushing.
"They did a good job of just not giving us time in the pocket to make those reads or make those throws," said Woodson of the Gators' defense, which recorded a season-high six sacks.
Florida caught Kentucky off guard on its opening drive when Leak handed off to Andre Caldwell, who made a pitch to Baker on the reverse. But Baker tossed it back to Leak, who found a wide-open Jemalle Cornelius for a 33-yard score.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- West Virginia expects NCAA to clear Grier to start 2017 May 20
- Florida's McElwain watching how Gators QBs lead in summer May 17
- The Latest: Family of UAB back deciding on organ donation May 9
- UAB coach: RB Greg Bryant 'still fighting for his life' May 7
- With ban lifted, SEC coaches gearing up for satellite camps May 4
- Florida, Miami agree to renew football rivalry in 2019 Apr 26
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Luke Del Rio shines in Florida's spring game, QB race Apr 8
- Suspended Florida QB Grier transfers to West Virginia Apr 6
- Maryland hires Andy Buh as its next defensive coordinator Apr 5
- Florida gives McElwain $750,000 raise after winning SEC East Mar 25
- Spurrier to receive Neyland Trophy from Knoxville QB Club Mar 24