Johnson, Zabransky lead Boise State over Hawaii in shootoutSep 24, 2006 - 4:04 AM BOISE, Idaho (Ticker) -- Jared Zabransky and Ian Johnson helped Boise State continue its success against Western Athletic Conference opponents at home.
Zabransky threw three touchdowns and Johnson ran for two more scores as the 25th-ranked Broncos remained undefeated with a 41-34 victory over Hawaii.
Boise State (4-0) has won 21 straight games against WAC opponents on its home turf and is 48-2 at Bronco Stadium since 1999.
However, the Warriors (1-2) were the Broncos' stiffest test so far this season. Boise State had been holding opponents to eight points per game in its first three contests, but on Saturday, it surrendered more than four times as many points and 511 yards of total offense.
Johnson started the scoring with a three-yard run with 12:35 remaining in the first quarter. He added a second score with an eight-yard run with 11:42 left in the third to increase the lead to 34-14. The sophomore running back, who entered the game tied for fifth in the nation in rushing at 149.33 yards per game, ran for 176 yards on 29 carries.
Zabransky completed 17-for-29 passes for 275 yards, throwing touchdowns of 6, 23 and 19 yards. Derek Shouman caught two of the scores, with his second touchdown catch capping the Broncos' scoring with 5:55 remaining the final period.
The final scoring drive for the Broncos was an eight-play, 55-yard march.
Boise State improved to 68-13 since 2000, making it the fourth-winningest Division I-A program in that span.
The close loss for Hawaii could have been avoided if not for three kicking miscues and costly turnovers.
The Warriors botched two extra-point tries and a short field goal. A mishandled extra-point snap was picked up by Boise State's Orlando Scandrick and returned 88 yards for a two-point defensive conversion in the second quarter for a 17-6 advantage.
Hawaii also had an interception and two fumbles.
Warriors quarterback Colt Brennan was 24-for-35 for 377 yards with five touchdowns and a pick.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NC State adds 2 graduate transfers to football program May 16
- Julius Brown joins Utah State's staff as cornerbacks coach Feb 10
- SEC football recruiting team capsules Feb 3
- Vanderbilt signs balanced class: 10 on offense, 9 on defense Feb 3
- Hill, Huff named co-offensive coordinators at Boise State Jan 29
- Arizona to hire Boise State's Yates as defensive coordinator Jan 18
- NC State hires Boise State's Drinkwitz to run offense Jan 11
- AP All-Bowl Team features Kohlhausen, McCaffrey, Fournette Jan 5
- Bowl Capsules Dec 23
- Bahamas Bowl could feature plenty of fireworks again Dec 23
- Californians crowd BSU's roster in Poinsettia Bowl vs NIU Dec 22
- Poinsettia Bowl capsule Dec 22