Palko, Pittsburgh too much for ToledoSep 30, 2006 - 9:02 PM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Tyler Palko threw a pair of touchdown passes and Pittsburgh got off to a fast start in each half on its way to an easy 45-3 victory over Toledo in a non-conference matchup.
Palko completed 12-of-15 passes for 172 yards in three quarters of work. He threw a nine-yard TD pass to Derek Kinder just under four minutes into the first quarter to give the Panthers (4-1) a 7-0 lead.
Defensive lineman Gus Mustakas returned an interception nine yards for a TD on the ensuing Toledo possession and Conor Lee kicked a 47-yard field goal with 1:58 left in the quarter to make it 17-0.
Palko threw his second TD pass of the game, a one-yarder to Darrell Strong, late in the second quarter to give Pitt a 24-0 lead.
Conredge Collins, Kevin Collier and Dorin Dickerson each rushed for a score in the third quarter for the Panthers, who are off to a 4-1 start for the first time since 2002.
Alex Steigerwald kicked a 35-yard field goal in the second quarter for Toledo's only points.
Aaron Opelt went 15-of-30 for 92 yards and an interception for the Rockets (2-3).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Pitt RB James Conner says he is cancer-free May 23
- 3 new coaches adds twist to topsy-turvy ACC Coastal Division Apr 26
- Pittsburgh caps second spring under Narduzzi Apr 16
- Is a revenue gap keeping top coaches away from G5 schools? Apr 15
- Trump baffles with question about late ex-Penn State coach Apr 14
- Fast track: Early enrollment now common in college football Apr 9
- Pitt star Conner nearing end of cancer treatment Apr 3
- Irish QB Wimbush faces challenge of unseating Kizer, Zaire Mar 29
- Former Pitt WR Boyd tries to leave impression at Pro Day Mar 16
- Arkansas hires Rhoads as new defensive backs coach Feb 24
- New coordinators in spotlight as spring football blooms Feb 23
- ACC football recruiting team capsules Feb 3