Texas Tech stuns A&M on last-minute touchdown passOct 1, 2006 - 12:16 AM COLLEGE STATION, Texas (Ticker) -- For Graham Harrell and Robert Johnson, the third time was the charm.
Harrell and Johnson hooked up for a trio of touchdowns, including the game-winner with 26 seconds left, as Texas Tech posted a wild 31-27 triumph over Texas A&M in the Big 12 Conference opener for both schools.
In the final five minutes of the second quarter, Harrell found Johnson for scores of 21 and five yards to send the Red Raiders (4-1, 1-0 Big 12) into intermission with a 24-14 advantage.
However, the Aggies (4-1, 0-1) got a third-quarter field goal from Layne Neumann and a four-yard TD run by Chris Alexander early in the fourth to forge a 24-24 tie. Neumann kicked a 32-yarder with 2:12 remaining to give Texas A&M its first lead.
But Texas Tech came right back, driving 80 yards in eight plays to capture just its third win in its last 11 meetings here. Harrell converted a 4th-and-5 to move the ball across midfield and, two plays later, the sophomore heaved a pass down the right sideline that Johnson hauled in for the decisive score.
Tech also overcame a near-interception on the third play of the final drive. Danny Amendola bobbled a pass that initially was deemed a pick before the replay official overturned the ruling on the field.
Harrell completed 32-of-45 passes for 392 yards and four touchdowns. Joel Filani had 10 catches for 156 yards and a score and Johnson finished with four receptions for 69 yards.
A&M's Stephen McGee was just 9-of-20 for 103 yards with an interception. Jorvorskie Lane had 12 carries for 77 yards and a touchdown for the Aggies, who lost despite holding the ball for more than 37 minutes and converting 10-of-16 third downs.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Ex-Aggie Isaiah Golden gets 10 years for 2014 robbery May 13
- A&M assistant is disciplined for tweets on player's reversal May 9
- Texas A&M sheds some swagger and tries to change trajectory May 6
- Texas A&M coach apologizes for tweets on player's reversal May 5
- 3 Texas Tech football players kicked off the team May 5
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Big 12 spring football wrapping up, not talk about expansion Apr 19
- UCLA begins building new offense around Rosen in spring ball Mar 28
- Fresno State schedules road games at Texas A&M, Arizona St. Mar 10
- New coordinators in spotlight as spring football blooms Feb 23
- A&M recruit Alton Robinson accused of robbing ex-girlfriend Feb 16
- Cal hires Spavital as offensive coordinator Feb 12