Southerland scores twice as Georgia holds off MississippiOct 1, 2006 - 4:40 AM OXFORD, Mississippi (Ticker) -- For the second straight week, Georgia managed to win a close game without a lot of offense.
Brannan Southerland scored two touchdowns and Kregg Lumpkin rushed for a season-high 101 yards as the 10th-ranked Bulldogs remained undefeated with a 14-9 triumph over Mississippi in a Southeastern Conference matchup.
After escaping in last Saturday's 14-13 win over Colorado, Georgia (5-0, 2-0 SEC East) defeated the Rebels for the seventh straight time in their first encounter since 2002.
The Bulldogs, who improved to 57-13 under coach Mark Richt, have surrendered just 34 points in five contests this season, including two shutouts.
Despite gaining just 14 yards on six carries, Southerland made the most of his opportunities. He capped a nine-play, 54-yard drive with a one-yard TD early in the third quarter to give Georgia a 7-3 lead. The sophomore added another short scoring run on the opening possession of the fourth period.
Mississippi (1-4, 0-2 SEC West) cut the margin when Tennessee transfer Brent Schaeffer hit Dexter McCluster on a 49-yard touchdown with 6:17 remaining. However, the two-point conversion failed.
The Rebels had one final opportunity to take the lead down the stretch, but Schaeffer was intercepted by cornerback Paul Oliver with 1:32 remaining.
Named the starting quarterback early Saturday, redshirt freshman Joe Cox - the hero last week vs. Colorado - was ineffective, completing just 4-of-10 passes for only 24 yards. He was replaced late in the first half by true freshman Matthew Stafford, who was 7-of-18 for 91 yards.
Schaeffer went 6-of-15 for 87 yards and Indiana transfer BenJarvus Green-Ellis gained 135 yards on 24 carries for the Rebels, who fell to 12-29-1 in the series.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Georgia's Chauncey Rivers dismissed following third arrest May 13
- Richt back in Georgia, wishes Bulldogs well May 12
- Ole Miss coach was 'shocked' by Tunsil comments at NFL draft May 5
- With ban lifted, SEC coaches gearing up for satellite camps May 4
- 5-star WR Demetris Robertson commits to California for 2016 May 1
- Ole Miss to investigate Tunsil's comments on receiving cash Apr 29
- Former Georgia 2-sport star Zippy Morocco dead at 86 Apr 25
- No surprise: UNC names Trubisky as starting QB for opener Apr 22
- Satellite camp debate puts spotlight on new NCAA governance Apr 21
- Mississippi's NCAA case receives 30-day extension Apr 21
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18