Green-Ellis helps Mississippi snap four-game losing streakOct 7, 2006 - 9:47 PM OXFORD, Mississippi (Ticker) -- With his team riding a lengthy losing streak, BenJarvus Green-Ellis took matters into his own hands.
Green-Ellis ran for a pair of touchdowns as Mississippi posted a 17-10 triumph over Vanderbilt in Southeastern Conference action.
The Bulldogs (2-4, 1-2 SEC West) had lost four straight contests dating to a 28-25 victory against Memphis on September 3.
But Green-Ellis proved to be the difference Saturday, carrying 24 times for 101 yards. He scored on a two-yard run midway through the first quarter and added a one-yard plunge 3 1/2 minutes later to give Mississippi a 14-0 lead.
Green-Ellis took most of the pressure off Brent Schaeffer, who attempted only eight passes. He completed just three for 31 yards and also threw a pair of interceptions.
Mackenzi Adams and Chris Nickson split time at quarterback for Vanderbilt (2-4, 1-2 East). Adams was 10-of-20 for 176 yards with an interception, while Nickson went 11-of-13 for 95 yards, including an 18-yard TD strike to Sean Walker in the second quarter.
Adams also was the Commodores' leading rusher, accumulating 51 yards on 11 carries. Earl Bennett led the air attack for Vanderbilt, catching 10 balls for 176 yards.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Ole Miss coach was 'shocked' by Tunsil comments at NFL draft May 5
- With ban lifted, SEC coaches gearing up for satellite camps May 4
- Ole Miss to investigate Tunsil's comments on receiving cash Apr 29
- Satellite camp debate puts spotlight on new NCAA governance Apr 21
- Mississippi's NCAA case receives 30-day extension Apr 21
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Vanderbilt rape victim condemns jury verdict for ex-player Apr 9
- Former Vanderbilt football player found guilty of rape Apr 9
- The Latest: Ex-Vanderbilt football player guilty of rape Apr 9
- Former Vanderbilt University football player found guilty of dorm room rape Apr 9
- Alleged victim in Vanderbilt rape case breaks down Apr 8