Freeman scores decisive TD as Kansas State rallies for winOct 8, 2006 - 12:40 AM MANHATTAN, Kansas (Ticker) -- Freshman Josh Freeman threw for 177 yards and ran for the go-ahead score as Kansas State rallied from a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit to post a 31-27 victory over Oklahoma State in a Big 12 Conference matchup.
Leon Patton rushed for 158 yards and a touchdown, but highlighted his afternoon with a 95-yard kickoff return for the Wildcats (4-2, 1-1 Big 12 North), who have won 10 of the last 11 meetings with the Cowboys.
The first encounter between the two programs since 2003 was a see-saw battle until Oklahoma State (3-2, 0-1 South) opened a 27-17 lead with 10:48 to go on a one-yard pass from Bobby Reid to John Johnson.
But Kansas State would prove its resiliency in its conference home opener.
Patton capped a six-play, 92-yard drive with a one-yard TD run, cutting the margin to three with 3:04 left, and the Wildcats forced the Cowboys to punt, giving Freeman one more chance from his own 42 with less than two minutes to go.
After Freeman found Daniel Gonzalez for a 20-yard reception and Yamon Figurs for 17 more, he took it in from 21 yards out for a 31-27 edge with 1:11 remaining.
Safety Marcus Watts intercepted Reid's deflected pass in the end zone to seal the win as time expired, ending a two-game skid.
Keith Toston collected 110 yards and a TD on 14 carries and Reid threw for two scores for OSU, which has dropped six straight here.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Kansas State hires ex-Gophers coach Jerry Kill in AD role May 17
- Big 12 spring football wrapping up, not talk about expansion Apr 19
- Woman charged in Oklahoma parade crash to face more charges Feb 16
- Cal hires Spavital as offensive coordinator Feb 12
- Good drama gives Texas another top Big 12 recruiting class Feb 3
- Big 12 signing day capsules Feb 3
- Kansas State fills holes after Snyder decides to return Feb 3
- Oklahoma St. wins big with late additions Wudtee, Bundage Feb 3
- TCU adds 2 former players to Patterson's defensive staff Jan 21
- North Texas adds 2 FBS transfers, including Alabama QB Jan 20
- K-State's Snyder confirms he will coach Wildcats next season Jan 11
- Mississippi QB Chad Kelly will return for senior season Jan 11