Stephens-Howling's three touchdowns helps Pittsburgh blast UCFOct 14, 2006 - 3:31 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- Pittsburgh scored early and often to make life miserable for Central Florida.
LaRod Stephens-Howling and Tyler Palko combined for four first-half touchdowns as the Panthers breezed to a 52-7 triumph over the Golden Knights in a non-conference matchup.
Pittsburgh (6-1, 2-0 Big East) is off to its best start in since in 1982 when Hall of Famer Dan Marino led the program to an impressive 7-0 beginning. The Panthers' lone defeat this season came on September 16 against Michigan State.
A 5-7 true freshman, Stephens-Howling carried 19 times for 135 yards, including TD runs of 23, 26 and six yards for the Panthers, who built a commanding 38-0 halftime bulge.
Palko completed 11-of-15 passes for 172 yards and two touchdowns for Pittsburgh, which opened the contest with a 97-yard kickoff return by Lowell Robinson.
Kevin Smith ran for 62 yards and backup quarterback Kyle Israel threw for 161 yards for the Golden Knights (3-3, 1-1 Conference USA), who committed four first-half turnovers. Starter Steven Moffett left the game in the third and did not return.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Pitt RB James Conner says he is cancer-free May 23
- 3 new coaches adds twist to topsy-turvy ACC Coastal Division Apr 26
- Oregon's Brown looks to return after horrifying injury Apr 19
- Pittsburgh caps second spring under Narduzzi Apr 16
- Trump baffles with question about late ex-Penn State coach Apr 14
- Fast track: Early enrollment now common in college football Apr 9
- Pitt star Conner nearing end of cancer treatment Apr 3
- Irish QB Wimbush faces challenge of unseating Kizer, Zaire Mar 29
- Former Pitt WR Boyd tries to leave impression at Pro Day Mar 16
- Arkansas hires Rhoads as new defensive backs coach Feb 24
- New coordinators in spotlight as spring football blooms Feb 23
- ACC football recruiting team capsules Feb 3