Weatherford's four TD passes lead Florida State past DukeOct 14, 2006 - 9:54 PM DURHAM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- A matchup with Duke was precisely what Drew Weatherford and Florida State needed to get well.
Weatherford threw three of his four touchdown passes to Greg Carr as the Seminoles rolled to a 51-24 Atlantic Coast Conference triumph over the lowly Blue Devils.
After losing two of its previous three games, Florida State (4-2, 2-2 ACC Atlantic) rolled up 478 yards of total offense against Duke despite holding the ball for only 23 1/2 minutes.
Weatherford was the primary star for the Seminoles, completing 16-of-24 passes for 231 yards. He hooked up with De'Cody Fagg for a nine-yard TD pass midway through the first quarter and found Carr on a 33-yard scoring strike late in the opening session for a 21-0 lead.
Florida State, which improved to 15-0 all-time in the series, held a 23-6 advantage at halftime before Antone Smith ran for an 80-yard touchdown on the first play of the third quarter to create a 24-point bulge.
Weatherford and Carr combined on a 16-yard TD pass in the third quarter and a 35-yarder in the fourth. Carr finished with four catches for 100 yards and Fagg caught seven balls for 80 yards.
Duke's Thad Lewis was 19-of-41 for 255 yards and a touchdown. Eron Riley led the air attack for the Blue Devils (0-6, 0-4 Coastal) with six catches for 110 yards and a score.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Duke's Holliday getting back to normal 4 years after crash May 12
- Clemson offense set to step forward, led by Deshaun Watson May 4
- FSU student reps: No headdresses at Seminoles games May 3
- 3 new coaches adds twist to topsy-turvy ACC Coastal Division Apr 26
- Offense a priority this spring for ACC's Atlantic Division Apr 25
- Florida State's young quarterbacks shine during spring game Apr 9
- With Sirk injured, Boehme takes control of Duke offense Apr 9
- Road trip: Florida State playing spring game in Orlando Apr 8
- Line change: FSU's Leonard switches from defense to offense Apr 7
- Florida State RB Dalvin Cook has shoulder surgery Apr 6
- Penn State RB Barkley looking to evolve this spring, summer Apr 4
- Golson: Like 'long-lost brother coming home' to Notre Dame Mar 31