Lattimore scores go-ahead TD as Maryland stuns VirginiaOct 15, 2006 - 12:07 AM CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia (Ticker) -- Keon Lattimore rushed for 114 yards on 15 carries, including the go-ahead score, as Maryland erased a 13-point fourth-quarter deficit for a 28-26 Atlantic Coast Conference victory over Virginia.
Linebacker Erin Henderson returned an interception against Jameel Sewell 45 yards for a touchdown and Lance Ball added a score for Maryland (4-2, 1-1 ACC Atlantic), which outscored Virginia, 21-7, in the closing period of last season's meeting in College Park.
The Terrapins faced a 20-7 hole entering the final period, but were confident in their ability to execute against the Cavaliers (2-5, 1-2 Coastal) when the game is on the line.
After quarterback Sam Hollenbach sparked the rally with a three-yard rushing TD 49 seconds into the frame, Lattimore put Maryland in front, 21-20, with a 56-yard run five minutes later.
On Virginia's ensuing possession, Henderson picked off Sewell and took it to the end zone for an eight-point cushion with eight minutes to go.
But the Cavaliers made things interesting when Sewell threw a 44-yard strike to Kevin Ogletree with 2:37 remaining for a 28-26 score. Defensive back Josh Wilson knocked Sewell's two-point conversion pass to Ogletree away to seal the win.
Sewell completed 13-of-21 passes for 243 yards and two TDs and Ogletree had three catches for 133 yards and two scores for Virginia, which led, 20-0, at halftime.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Sophomore quarterback Nick Johns to transfer from Virginia May 5
- Former East Carolina coach rejuvenated by job at Virginia May 3
- 3 new coaches adds twist to topsy-turvy ACC Coastal Division Apr 26
- New phrases just the start of Mendenhall era at Virginia Apr 20
- Durkin takes the offensive in 1st spring with Maryland Apr 16
- Is a revenue gap keeping top coaches away from G5 schools? Apr 15
- Big Ten East loses top stars, but new ones are set to emerge Apr 14
- Judge rules NCAA must go to trial in football death Apr 7
- Maryland hires Andy Buh as its next defensive coordinator Apr 5
- Maryland, Virginia Tech set 4-game series for 2026-29 Feb 17
- Pac-12 football recruiting team capsules Feb 3
- New BYU coaching staff pleased despite time constraints Feb 3