Skinner, Swank lead Wake Forest past NC StateOct 14, 2006 - 9:31 PM RALEIGH, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Sam Swank kicked three long field goals to lead Wake Forest to a 25-23 Atlantic Coast Conference victory over North Carolina State in the 100th meeting between the teams.
Safety Josh Gattis sealed the victory by intercepting Daniel Evans with 45 seconds left after the quarterback had driven the Wolfpack to the Wake 40.
Swank, who earlier had made kicks of 51 and 53 yards, gave the visitors a 25-17 lead with a 53-yarder with 8:05 to play.
The Wolfpack pulled within 25-23 on a 13-yard run by Toney Baker, his second TD of the game, with 5:06 to play, but Evans' pass failed on the two-point conversion.
Riley Skinner completed 9-of-14 passes for 124 yards, a touchdown and an interception for the Demon Deacons (6-1, 2-1 ACC Atlantic), who had lost their last 10 meetings here.
Evans went 21-of-37 for 200 yards and the interception for NC State (3-3, 2-1 Atlantic), which outgained Wake Forest, 334-266. The Wolfpack had beaten No. 17 Florida State and No. 20 Boston College in their past two games.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NC State adds 2 graduate transfers to football program May 16
- Ohio university pays player $712K to settle concussion suit May 4
- Offense a priority this spring for ACC's Atlantic Division Apr 25
- Drinkwitz wants Wolfpack to build off spring in new offense Apr 9
- Randy Moss' son headlines NC State's recruiting class Feb 3
- Clawson's 3rd class at Wake Forest rated as his best Feb 3
- NC State hires Boise State's Drinkwitz to run offense Jan 11
- Pittsburgh hires Matt Canada as offensive coordinator Jan 8
- Championship matchups that will decide Alabama-Clemson Jan 8
- NC State TE Grinnage to skip final season, enter NFL draft Jan 6
- NC State dismisses offensive coordinator Matt Canada Jan 3
- Wolfpack losing key veterans after 2 straight bowl trips Dec 31