Late field goal lifts Ohio past IllinoisOct 15, 2006 - 5:00 AM CHAMPAIGN, Illinois (Ticker) -- For a second straight week, Illinois lost at home on a last-second field goal.
Matt Lasher connected on a 32-yard field goal with five seconds left as Ohio stunned the Fighting Illini, 20-17, in a non-conference matchup.
Last week, Illinois (2-5) absorbed a 34-32 loss here when Indiana's Austin Starr booted a 33-yard field goal with no time left.
Kalvin McRae rushed for 108 yards and two touchdowns for the Bobcats (4-3), who were outgained, 397-238.
With the game tied at 17-17, Illinois started a drive at its own 6 with 1:45 to go. Two plays later, true freshman Juice Williams threw a pass to Kyle Hudson, but he lost the ball after a hit by T.J. Wright and Tyler Russ recovered at the Illini 16 with 42 seconds left.
Three plays later, Lasher converted his kick to end the game.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Ohio university pays player $712K to settle concussion suit May 4
- At Illinois, Smith breaks ground he's broken before Apr 30
- Hardy Nickerson Jr. leaving Cal to join father at Illinois Apr 21
- Illinois RB Brown tears ACL, will miss another season Apr 19
- Iowa headlines uncertain Big Ten West Apr 13
- Illinois settles with former athletes, ex coach Tim Beckman Apr 12
- ACL tear will cost Illinois receiver Dudek another season Apr 8
- New Illinois staff heavy on experience with NFL, Smith Mar 29
- Football player mistaken for burglar, shot by ex-teammate Mar 20
- Illini hire longtime NFL coach for special teams, tight ends Mar 16
- Smith's Illinois contract could pay him up to $29 million Mar 16
- Smith adds 2 to Illinois staff, including Hardy Nickerson Mar 14