Maryland takes advantage of miscues to edge NC StateOct 21, 2006 - 9:42 PM COLLEGE PARK, Maryland (Ticker) -- Lance Ball and Maryland capitalized on North Carolina State's ineptitude.
Ball ran for a touchdown and Maryland scored 14 pivotal points off turnovers en route to a 26-20 Atlantic Coast Conference triumph over North Carolina State.
It was the third victory in the last four games for the Terrapins (5-2, 2-1 ACC Atlantic), who improved to 29-30-4 all-time against their conference rival.
After jumping out to a 6-0 halftime lead on a pair of field goals by Dan Ennis, Maryland flexed its defensive muscle on the first play of the second half when safety Marcus Wimbush drilled running back Andre Brown, who fumbled at the NC State 31.
Two plays later, Sam Hollenbach found Josh Allen for a four-yard touchdown pass to give the Terps a 13-0 cushion.
Wolfpack quarterback Daniel Evans was intercepted by linebacker Erin Henderson at the NC State 24 on the ensuing offensive play, and Ball plunged into the end zone from two yards out to push Maryland's lead to 20-0 with 10:07 left in the third quarter.
Ball ran for 77 yards on 17 carries while Hollenbach completed 7-of-9 attempts for 115 yards and added 62 rushing yards on seven carries. Keon Lattimore collected 107 yards of total offense for the Terps.
Toney Baker had 95 yards and a TD on 20 carries while Brown added 62 yards and a score on 10 attempts for the Wolfpack (3-4, 2-2 Atlantic), who fell to 11-14 in conference road games under coach Chuck Amato.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NC State adds 2 graduate transfers to football program May 16
- Offense a priority this spring for ACC's Atlantic Division Apr 25
- Durkin takes the offensive in 1st spring with Maryland Apr 16
- Is a revenue gap keeping top coaches away from G5 schools? Apr 15
- Big Ten East loses top stars, but new ones are set to emerge Apr 14
- Drinkwitz wants Wolfpack to build off spring in new offense Apr 9
- Judge rules NCAA must go to trial in football death Apr 7
- Maryland hires Andy Buh as its next defensive coordinator Apr 5
- Maryland, Virginia Tech set 4-game series for 2026-29 Feb 17
- Pac-12 football recruiting team capsules Feb 3
- Stanford signs 5 offensive linemen after losing 3 Feb 3
- Big Ten football recruiting team capsules Feb 3