Georgia survives Mississippi State, snaps two-game slideOct 21, 2006 - 9:29 PM ATHENS, Georgia (Ticker) -- Matthew Stafford and Georgia overcame Mississippi State - and themselves.
Stafford threw for a pair of touchdowns to help offset three interceptions as Georgia snapped a two-game slide with a 27-24 Southeastern Conference victory over Mississippi State.
A true freshman, Stafford set career highs in every category, completing 20-of-32 passes for 267 yards as Georgia (6-2, 3-2 SEC East) rebounded from back-to-back losses to Tennessee and Vanderbilt.
While it was the first time this season the team's starting quarterback also finished the game, Stafford did throw three picks and his teammates fumbled twice, leading to Mississippi State's first 17 points.
But Stafford responded with Georgia clinging to a 21-17 lead, leading the hosts on an 11-play, 88-yard drive that fullback Brannan Southerland capped with a one-yard TD run on the first play of the fourth quarter.
Mississippi State answered with a 12-play, 80-yard march that Anthony Dixon punctuated with a three-yard TD run to draw the visitors within 27-24. But MSU quarterback Michael Henig was sacked by Charles Johnson and fumbled in the final minute, sealing the loss.
Henig finished 14-of-31 with two interceptions and no touchdowns. Tony Burks added four catches for 106 yards for Mississippi State (2-6, 0-4 West).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Georgia's Chauncey Rivers dismissed following third arrest May 13
- Richt back in Georgia, wishes Bulldogs well May 12
- With ban lifted, SEC coaches gearing up for satellite camps May 4
- 5-star WR Demetris Robertson commits to California for 2016 May 1
- Former Georgia 2-sport star Zippy Morocco dead at 86 Apr 25
- No surprise: UNC names Trubisky as starting QB for opener Apr 22
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Eason has sharp debut, 93,000 pack Georgia's spring game Apr 16
- Not much separation in Mississippi State's 4-man QB race Apr 16
- G-Day spring game could be key in Georgia's QB competition Apr 14
- Georgia freshmen Rochester, Clay arrested on weapon charges Apr 12