Defense, special teams help Alabama rout FIUOct 28, 2006 - 11:59 PM TUSCALOOSA, Alabama (Ticker) -- Javier Arenas gave Alabama some breathing room against Florida International.
Arenas broke open a tight contest with a punt return for a touchdown as the Crimson Tide pulled away for a 38-3 non-conference victory over the Golden Panthers.
Alabama (6-3) held just a 10-3 lead before Arenas' 65-yard scamper with 9:24 to play in the third quarter.
Tim Castille added a one-yard TD run just over two minutes later, and the Crimson Tide put away the game on a 34-yard interception return for a score by Ramzee Robinson with 10:18 remaining. Matt Caddell capped the scoring with a six-yard TD catch from backup quarterback Jimmy Barnes.
John Parker Wilson completed 8-of-13 passes for 72 yards and a touchdown before suffering an ankle injury. Barnes went 6-of-11 for 45 yards for the Crimson Tide, who gained just 224 total yards but limited the Golden Panthers to 175.
Dustin Rivest's 37-yard field goal opened the scoring with 1:11 left in the first quarter, but it was all the production FIU (0-8) could muster.
Wilson gave Alabama the lead for good on a nine-yard TD toss to Le'Ron McClain with 10:11 left in the second quarter. The score was set up by a blocked punt by Forress Rayford.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson, teammate arrested May 17
- Alabama hires Karl Dunbar as defensive line coach May 12
- Alabama dismisses JUCO transfer Charles Baldwin from team May 12
- Texas A&M sheds some swagger and tries to change trajectory May 6
- Correction: Troy Football Player Killed story May 5
- Troy University football player killed in motorcycle crash May 2
- Alabama defensive line coach Bo Davis resigns Apr 29
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Alabama's young QBs shine in spring-ending scrimmage Apr 16
- Fast track: Early enrollment now common in college football Apr 9
- Former No. 1 prospect Hand aiming for bigger role at Alabama Mar 31