Hunt helps Penn State run over PurdueOct 28, 2006 - 9:29 PM WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (Ticker) -- Tony Hunt highlighted Penn State's return to a strong running attack.
Hunt rushed for 150 yards and the game's only touchdown as the Nittany Lions captured a 12-0 victory over Purdue in a Big Ten conference matchup.
Bothered by his team's 40-yard effort on the ground in a 26-12 win over Illinois last week, coach Joe Paterno criticized their effort.
Penn State (6-3, 4-2 Big Ten) responded with a better performance, finishing with 240 rushing yards on 50 attempts. The defense also stepped up, notching its first shutout since October 19, 2002 against Northwestern.
The Nittany Lions opened the scoring with a lengthy 11-play drive in the first quarter that was capped by a 29-yard field goal by Kevin Kelly. The lead was doubled when Kelly added a 44-yarder five seconds before halftime.
After a scoreless third quarter, Hunt put the game away on a two-yard scoring run with 12:36 remaining. Along with rushing 31 times, Hunt had two catches for 36 yards.
Anthony Morelli completed 14-of-31 passes for 182 yards and Jordan Norwood had two catches for 58 yards for the Nittany Lions.
Linebacker Dan Connor had 10 solo tackles and an interception to lead Penn State's defensive effort.
Curtis Painter threw for 178 yards and two interceptions for Purdue (5-4, 2-3), which was shut out for the first time since a 35-0 loss to Notre Dame on September 14, 1996.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Penn State player had symptoms for years before filing suit May 19
- The Latest: Penn State has no records on new Paterno claim May 6
- Judge's order reopens questions about what Paterno knew when May 6
- Penn State OKs some alcohol sales at games May 6
- Jerry Sandusky presses appeal, wants to question ex-lawyers May 2
- Satellite camp debate puts spotlight on new NCAA governance Apr 21
- Penn State uses spring to install new offense, find new QB Apr 16
- Big Ten East loses top stars, but new ones are set to emerge Apr 14
- Trump baffles with question about late ex-Penn State coach Apr 14
- Iowa headlines uncertain Big Ten West Apr 13
- Sankey: SEC's satellite camp issues go beyond Harbaugh Apr 11
- Penn State RB Barkley looking to evolve this spring, summer Apr 4