Johnson scores three TDs as Oregon crushes I-AA Portland StateOct 29, 2006 - 1:37 AM EUGENE, Oregon (Ticker) -- Jeremiah Johnson and Oregon made it look too easy.
Johnson ran for three first-half touchdowns and quarterback Dennis Dixon added another score through the air as the 25th-ranked Ducks rolled to a 55-12 triumph over Division I-AA Portland State.
Oregon (6-2) was coming off a crushing 34-24 setback against unranked Pac-10 Conference rival Washington State last week. But the Ducks got into an early offensive groove in this one behind the efforts of Johnson.
Johnson carried 17 times for 86 yards - including touchdown runs of one, seven and one yards - for Oregon, which took a commanding 34-12 advantage into the locker room. Johnson took over the bulk of the carries after starting tailback Jonathan Stewart suffered a strained abdominal muscle in the first quarter.
Dixon completed 14-of-24 passes for 160 yards and ran for 42 more. The speedy signal-caller opened the scoring when he connected with Jaison Williams on an 11-yard TD pass just 2:27 into the contest.
Williams finished with eight catches for 112 yards for the Ducks, who improved to an impressive 25-1 in non-conference home games under coach Mike Bellotti. Oregon is 3-0 all-time in this series.
Mu'Ammar Ali was the lone bright spot for the Vikings (5-4), who were facing their third Division I-A opponent of the season. Ali rushed for 134 yards on 23 attempts, including a 57-yard TD run that brought Portland State within 20-12 with 10:39 left in the second quarter.
Vikings quarterback Sawyer Smith went just 5-of-15 for 45 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- This year's must-see FCS matchups May 23
- 2016 FCS vs. FBS: Big Sky May 16
- Undrafted FCS players get shot at NFL May 3
- Ducks give fans a glimpse of QBs in spring game Apr 30
- Idaho may return to Big Sky football Apr 27
- Portland State puts football back on football Apr 23
- Portland State football player arrested Apr 21
- Oregon's Brown looks to return after horrifying injury Apr 19
- Grieving Portland State team resumes spring drills Apr 15
- Smith second Portland State player to die this year Apr 15
- FCS matchups we'd like to see Mar 18
- Big Sky spring football primer Mar 11