Zabransky helps Boise State remain undefeatedNov 2, 2006 - 4:56 AM BOISE, Idaho (Ticker) -- If Jared Zabransky and Boise State keep playing like this, they could be headed to a major bowl game.
Zabransky completed 19-of-25 passes for 180 yards and three touchdowns as No. 14 Boise State posted a 45-21 Western Athletic Conference rout over Fresno State.
The senior quarterback threw a 28-yard TD pass to Drisan James with just seconds left in the first quarter to put Boise State up, 10-7.
All-American candidate Ian Johnson rushed for 136 yards on 24 carries and scored on two short runs to give him 20 touchdowns for the season. The sophomore now has 1,317 yards rushing and continues to lead the nation in scoring.
Johnson went over the 100-yard rushing mark for the third consecutive game. Johnson's six 100-yard rushing efforts this season are the most for a Bronco since Brock Forsey did it eight times in 2002.
Zabransky also rushed for 57 yards as Boise State's ground attack gained 300 total yards.
The Broncos currently stand 14th in the Bowl Championship Series standings and need to be in the top 12 in order to be eligible to receive an invitation to one of the five BCS games in January.
After Chastin West returned a kickoff 93 yards in the first quarter to give Fresno State a 7-3 lead, Boise State ran off 35 unanswered points.
The Broncos (9-0, 5-0 WAC) have scored 40 or more points in seven of their nine victories and are one of just six unbeaten teams in Division I-A. The nine straight wins is the sixth-longest winning streak in school history
Boise State is 23-0 in WAC games on its blue turf and has won 29 straight home league games dating to its membership in the Big West Conference.
Tom Brandstater was 7-of-14 for just 72 yards with a touchdown and an interception for Fresno State (1-7, 1-3), which has lost seven in a row. Backup Sean Norton went 5-of-10 for 49 yards for the Bulldogs, who have lost five straight to the Broncos.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NC State adds 2 graduate transfers to football program May 16
- Fresno State schedules road games at Texas A&M, Arizona St. Mar 10
- Julius Brown joins Utah State's staff as cornerbacks coach Feb 10
- Hill, Huff named co-offensive coordinators at Boise State Jan 29
- Arizona to hire Boise State's Yates as defensive coordinator Jan 18
- Weber, Bernardi return to Fresno State as assistant coaches Jan 15
- Cory Hall named cornerbacks coach for Oregon State Jan 12
- Fresno State hires Lorenzo Ward as defensive coordinator Jan 12
- NC State hires Boise State's Drinkwitz to run offense Jan 11
- AP All-Bowl Team features Kohlhausen, McCaffrey, Fournette Jan 5
- Bowl Capsules Dec 23
- Bahamas Bowl could feature plenty of fireworks again Dec 23