Henig, Culberson spark Mississippi State to upset of AlabamaNov 4, 2006 - 10:03 PM TUSCALOOSA, Alabama (Ticker) -- Quarterback Michael Henig and linebacker Quinton Culberson ended an embarrassing streak for Mississippi State.
Henig threw two touchdowns and Culberson returned an interception for a score as the Bulldogs snapped a 23-game Southeastern Conference road losing streak with a 24-16 upset of Alabama.
It was a rewarding win for embattled Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom, who played at Alabama.
Henig, who completed just 9-of-23 passes for 143 yards, tossed an interception that Jeffrey Dukes returned 24 yards for a TD to pull Alabama into a 10-10 tie 3 1/2 minutes into the second quarter.
But the sophomore responded by leading his team on a seven-play, 78-yard drive, which he capped with a 13-yard TD toss to Jamayel Smith for a 17-10 lead.
Culberson gave the Bulldogs (3-7, 1-5 SEC West) a 24-10 cushion entering the break with a 51-yard interception return.
Jamie Christensen kicked three field goals, including ones of 26 and 31 yards in the third quarter, for the Crimson Tide (6-4, 2-4 West), who picked up just one first down and punted three times in the fourth quarter.
Mississippi State ran out the final 5:32 over 12 plays - seven on rushes by Anthony Dixon, who gained 121 yards on 25 carries - to also snap an 18-game road skid against SEC West foes since a win at Auburn in 1999.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson, teammate arrested May 17
- Alabama hires Karl Dunbar as defensive line coach May 12
- Alabama dismisses JUCO transfer Charles Baldwin from team May 12
- Texas A&M sheds some swagger and tries to change trajectory May 6
- Correction: Troy Football Player Killed story May 5
- Troy University football player killed in motorcycle crash May 2
- Alabama defensive line coach Bo Davis resigns Apr 29
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Alabama's young QBs shine in spring-ending scrimmage Apr 16
- Not much separation in Mississippi State's 4-man QB race Apr 16
- Fast track: Early enrollment now common in college football Apr 9