Nebraska takes control of Big 12 North with win over MissouriNov 4, 2006 - 9:08 PM LINCOLN, Nebraska (Ticker) -- Nebraska just might get that rematch with Texas after all.
Wide receiver Maurice Purify threw a touchdown pass and caught another score and Nebraska took control of the Big 12 North Division race with a 34-20 victory over reeling Missouri.
The Cornhuskers (7-3, 4-2 Big 12 North) lost a tough 22-20 game to Texas on October 21, but it was their first league loss and a rematch looked like a distinct possibility. Then last week, Oklahoma State overcame a 16-point deficit to hand Nebraska a 41-29 defeat and throw the North Division title up for grabs.
Purify helped Nebraska again grab control of the division with a pair of first-half scores. He threw a 28-yard touchdown pass to Terrence Nunn with 1:30 left in the first quarter to give the Cornhuskers a 10-0 lead and caught a seven-yard TD from Zac Taylor just over a minute into the second quarter to extend the advantage to 17-0.
Taylor completed 13-of-21 passes for 208 yards and added a 17-yard scoring strike to Hunter Teafatiller with 5:04 left in the first half to make it 24-3.
Missouri (7-3, 3-3 North) was one of the feel-good stories in college football early on, getting off to a 6-0 start. But the Tigers have struggled in the past month, losing three of four.
Chase Daniel was 20-of-38 for 244 yards and a pair of second-half TD passes. He also threw two interceptions in the first half that both led to Cornhusker touchdowns.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Former Missouri QB Maty Mauk signs with Eastern Kentucky May 21
- Nebraska transfer joins Colorado State football team May 18
- Riley touring Nebraska to stoke interest in Huskers May 13
- Riley touring Nebraska to stoke interest in Huskers May 12
- Missouri hires Ofodile as recruiting coordinator May 9
- Ex-Husker Joe Blahak, who threw key block for Rodgers, dies Apr 25
- Coaching changes at 3 schools bring new look to SEC East Apr 18
- Villamin sees Oregon State's receivers on the right track Apr 16
- Nebraska is coming out of spring depleted on defensive line Apr 16
- Iowa headlines uncertain Big Ten West Apr 13
- Sheriff: Missing former KU football player killed himself Apr 9
- Nebraska lineman Greg McMullen on leave to address academics Apr 9