Northwestern stuns Iowa in Big Ten matchupNov 4, 2006 - 11:27 PM IOWA CITY, Iowa (Ticker) -- Northwestern found a way to erase the sting of a historic loss.
Tyrell Sutton rushed for 168 yards and a touchdown as Northwestern stunned Iowa, 21-7, in a Big Ten Conference matchup.
Two weeks ago, the Wildcats were victimized by the greatest comeback in NCAA history, blowing a 35-point third-quarter lead in an eventual 41-38 loss to Michigan State.
There would be no such collapse against Iowa, which lost to an unranked opponent at home for the first time since September 14, 2002.
Northwestern (3-7, 1-5 Big Ten), which snapped a six-game losing streak, took a 14-0 halftime lead on Sutton's five-yard run in the first quarter and C.J. Bacher's seven-yard pass to Eric Peterman early in the second period.
Iowa (6-4, 2-4) halved the deficit on Damian Sims' three-yard run with 3:46 left in the third quarter.
However, Northwestern sealed it when Terrell Jordan capped a seven-play, 80-yard drive with a 34-yard run that made it 21-7 with 4:48 remaining.
Bacher completed 19-of-29 passes for 218 yards and two interceptions. Hawkeyes quarterback Drew Tate, who sat out last week's win vs. Northern Illinois with an injury, was 18-of-27 for 147 yards and two picks.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Iowa rehires Kirk Ferentz's son-in-law for staff position Apr 29
- Iowa's defense looks strong heading into 2016 Apr 23
- Delay in regent's $5M gift to Iowa football raises questions Apr 15
- NCAA denies Iowa DE Drew Ott's bid for year of eligibility Apr 13
- Iowa headlines uncertain Big Ten West Apr 13
- Iowa QB C.J. Beathard making progress from injuries Apr 8
- Iowa looks to move on following Rose Bowl blowout Mar 22
- Ott's petition for 5th year in NCAA's hands Feb 29
- Iowa extends athletic director Gary Barta's contract 5 years Feb 17
- Ohio St., Michigan classes show most star power in Big Ten Feb 3
- Big Ten football recruiting team capsules Feb 3
- Iowa signs intriguing 2016 class after Rose Bowl run Feb 3