Defense dominates as Florida State shuts out VirginiaNov 4, 2006 - 11:07 PM TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Ticker) -- Xavier Lee had a solid second career start, but it was a day of defense for Florida State.
The Seminoles recorded six sacks and a safety and returned an interception for a touchdown en route to a 33-0 Atlantic Coast Conference shutout of lowly Virginia.
It was Florida State's first shutout since blanking Notre Dame, 37-0, on the road in 2003.
Lee completed 12-of-25 passes for 185 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 49 yards on only four carries for Florida State (5-4, 3-4 ACC Atlantic), which scored more than 24 points for just the third time this season.
Cornerback Tony Clark gave the Seminoles a quick 7-0 lead when he intercepted a pass by Jameel Sewell and returned it 35 yards just 74 seconds into the game.
Eli Charles blocked a punt on Virginia's next series to set up a one-yard TD run by Lorenzo Booker that doubled the Seminoles' advantage just 5:33 into the contest. Booker gained 44 yards on 10 carries for the Seminoles, who ended a two-game losing streak.
Seminoles linebacker Buster Davis sacked Sewell in the end zone for a safety to make it 19-0 early in the third period. Four plays later, Lee threw a 37-yard TD to Chris Davis, increasing the Seminoles' lead to 26 points.
Sewell was 17-of-32 for just 125 yards with two interceptions and was sacked six times for Virginia (4-6, 3-3 Coastal). The Cavaliers also managed just 58 yards on 32 carries.
Florida State has won all eight home games against Virginia.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Sophomore quarterback Nick Johns to transfer from Virginia May 5
- Clemson offense set to step forward, led by Deshaun Watson May 4
- FSU student reps: No headdresses at Seminoles games May 3
- Former East Carolina coach rejuvenated by job at Virginia May 3
- 3 new coaches adds twist to topsy-turvy ACC Coastal Division Apr 26
- Offense a priority this spring for ACC's Atlantic Division Apr 25
- New phrases just the start of Mendenhall era at Virginia Apr 20
- Florida State's young quarterbacks shine during spring game Apr 9
- Road trip: Florida State playing spring game in Orlando Apr 8
- Line change: FSU's Leonard switches from defense to offense Apr 7
- Florida State RB Dalvin Cook has shoulder surgery Apr 6
- Penn State RB Barkley looking to evolve this spring, summer Apr 4