UConn earns first Big East victory in wild fashionNov 12, 2006 - 1:38 AM EAST HARTFORD, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Donald Brown scored on a 10-yard run and quarterback D.J. Hernandez ran in the ensuing two-point conversion as Connecticut edged Pittsburgh in double overtime, 46-45, for its first Big East Conference victory of the season.
The Huskies (4-5, 1-3 Big East) rallied from a 14-point fourth-quarter deficit, sending the game into overtime on Hernandez's one-yard pass to Dan Murray with three seconds left.
Hernandez, who completed 20-of-29 passes for 164 yards and four touchdowns, gave UConn a 38-31 lead with an 11-yard TD toss to Brandon Young to begin the extra session, but Pittsburgh tied it on a one-yard pass from Tyler Palko to Conredge Collins.
LaRod Stephens-Howling gave Pittsburgh a 45-38 lead in double overtime with a one-yard run, but Brown countered with his second TD run of the game and Hernandez ended matters with his two-point conversion.
Brown finished with 205 yards rushing on 43 carries while Hernandez rushed 17 times for 130 yards for the Huskies, who collected 317 yards on the ground.
Palko went 20-of-25 for 234 yards and three TDs and Stevens-Howling rushed for 154 yards and two scores for Pitt (6-4, 2-3).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Pitt RB James Conner says he is cancer-free May 23
- Diaco fires up UConn's NYC base with promise of progress May 18
- Diaco agrees to two-year contract extension at UConn May 16
- 3 new coaches adds twist to topsy-turvy ACC Coastal Division Apr 26
- Pittsburgh caps second spring under Narduzzi Apr 16
- Trump baffles with question about late ex-Penn State coach Apr 14
- Fast track: Early enrollment now common in college football Apr 9
- Pitt star Conner nearing end of cancer treatment Apr 3
- Irish QB Wimbush faces challenge of unseating Kizer, Zaire Mar 29
- Former Pitt WR Boyd tries to leave impression at Pro Day Mar 16
- Benedict says UConn's caliber of play at Power Five level Mar 1
- Arkansas hires Rhoads as new defensive backs coach Feb 24