Cupito sets Minnesota passing record in win at Michigan StNov 11, 2006 - 9:25 PM EAST LANSING, Michigan (Ticker) -- Bryan Cupito and Minnesota are ending a disappointing season on an upswing.
Cupito became Minnesota's all-time leading passer as the Golden Gophers posted a 31-18 Big Ten Conference victory over reeling Michigan State.
Cupito completed 16-of-28 passes for 243 yards and two touchdowns for Minnesota (5-6, 2-5 Big Ten), which has won three of its last four games, including consecutive conference victories. He has 6,916 career yards, surpassing the previous school mark set by Cory Sauter.
Michigan State jumped out to a 9-0 first-quarter edge on a blocked punt for a touchdown and a safety, but Minnesota scored 17 straight points in the second quarter and led thereafter. The Gophers took the lead for good, 14-9, on a 48-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown by Steve Davis after Mario Reese sacked backup quarterback Brian Hoyer.
Playing his final home game, Drew Stanton completed his two pass attempts before exiting the contest after being sacked with about six minutes to play in the first quarter.
Hoyer went 26-of-50 for 330 yards and a touchdown but threw a pair of interceptions and was sacked four times for the Spartans (4-7, 1-6), who have lost seven of their last eight games after a 3-0 start.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Kansas State hires ex-Gophers coach Jerry Kill in AD role May 17
- Man who punched ex-Mankato player gets 5 months in jail May 13
- Minnesota picks Mark Coyle from Syracuse as AD May 11
- O'Connor trying to emerge as Cook's successor at Michigan St Apr 23
- Michigan State announces partnership with Fox Sports Apr 21
- Big Ten East loses top stars, but new ones are set to emerge Apr 14
- Iowa headlines uncertain Big Ten West Apr 13
- Running backs can provide continuity for Michigan State Apr 11
- Michigan State accepts Robertson's letter of intent Mar 30
- Minnesota AD search to use outside firm, 16-person committee Mar 23
- Guilty plea in 2014 attack on ex-Minn. State, Mankato player Mar 23
- Spring practice signals takeover for Claeys at Minnesota Feb 29