Painter, Bryant lead Purdue past IllinoisNov 11, 2006 - 10:02 PM CHAMPAIGN, Illinois (Ticker) -- Curtis Painter and Dorien Bryant each scored a pair of touchdowns in the second half to lead Purdue to a 42-31 victory over Illinois in a Big Ten Conference matchup.
Jason Reda kicked three field goals in the first half to give Illinois (2-9, 1-6 Big Ten) a 16-14 lead at the break. The Fighting Illini extended the lead to 23-14 on an eight-yard TD run by Rashard Mendenhall with 11:31 left in the third quarter but then Painter and Bryant took over.
Painter, who completed 20-of-42 passes for 229 yards, ran for a 42-yard score with 4:08 left in the third quarter and connected with Bryant for a 20-yard TD just over two minutes later to give the Boilermakers (7-4, 4-3) a 28-23 lead.
An 18-yard scoring run by Painter was followed by a six-yard TD by Bryant 2 1/2 minutes later that gave Purdue a 42-23 advantage with 10:50 to play.
Bryant finished with nine catches for 120 yards and added 32 yards rushing on four carries. Painter ran for 54 yards on six attempts.
Freshman Juice Williams ran for a 20-yard TD five minutes into the game to give Illinois a 7-0 lead but otherwise had a miserable day. He completed 8-of-29 passes for 95 yards, was intercepted once and lost a fumble that was returned for a TD.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- At Illinois, Smith breaks ground he's broken before Apr 30
- Hardy Nickerson Jr. leaving Cal to join father at Illinois Apr 21
- Illinois RB Brown tears ACL, will miss another season Apr 19
- Iowa headlines uncertain Big Ten West Apr 13
- Illinois settles with former athletes, ex coach Tim Beckman Apr 12
- ACL tear will cost Illinois receiver Dudek another season Apr 8
- New Illinois staff heavy on experience with NFL, Smith Mar 29
- Illini hire longtime NFL coach for special teams, tight ends Mar 16
- Smith's Illinois contract could pay him up to $29 million Mar 16
- Smith adds 2 to Illinois staff, including Hardy Nickerson Mar 14
- Smith confirms McGee will be Illinois offensive coordinator Mar 11
- Petrino confirms Garrick McGee leaving for Illinois Mar 9