Cowan-Breazell connection helps UCLA down Arizona StateNov 19, 2006 - 6:54 AM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- Patrick Cowan and Brandon Breazell made the most of their connections.
Cowan and Breazell hooked up for a pair of touchdowns as UCLA posted a 24-12 Pac-10 conference victory over Arizona State.
Cowan opened the scoring with a 56-yard pass to Breazell in the first quarter and the duo bookended the contest with a 35-yard TD with 6:41 remaining. Those were Breazell's only catches of the game.
Once again filling in for the injured Ben Olson, Cowan completed 14-of-24 passes for 187 yards without an interception for the Bruins (6-5, 4-4 Pac-10), who won here for the first time since 1994.
UCLA took a 14-3 lead on a one-yard run by Chane Moline on the first play of the second quarter, but Arizona State (6-5, 3-5) pulled within two points after field goals of 35, 20 and 20 yards by Jesse Ainsworth, the last 3:52 into the second half.
But UCLA countered with a 27-yard field goal by Justin Medlock in the final minute of the third quarter for a 17-12 cushion, and Cowan and Breazell put the game out of reach soon thereafter.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- UCLA's Adams pleads no contest to battery of Uber driver May 4
- UCLA wraps up spring practice with new offense and receivers Apr 23
- Arizona State adds Yantis, Hamilton to football staff Apr 15
- UCLA begins building new offense around Rosen in spring ball Mar 28
- Fresno State schedules road games at Texas A&M, Arizona St. Mar 10
- Comeback trail: Chubb, Russell among rehabbing spring stars Feb 24
- Arizona State hires Seumalo as defensive line coach Feb 16
- UCLA gets tougher, bounces back with elite recruiting class Feb 3
- Pac-12 football recruiting team capsules Feb 3
- Arizona State keeps commitments despite turnover Feb 3
- USC, UCLA reign in Pac-12 recruiting battles Feb 3
- Oklahoma St. wins big with late additions Wudtee, Bundage Feb 3