Ole Miss holds on to beat Mississippi State in "Egg Bowl"Nov 25, 2006 - 10:58 PM OXFORD, Mississippi (Ticker) -- Marshay Green helped Mississippi end a forgettable season on a memorable note.
Green reeled off a 47-yard punt return for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter as Ole Miss held on for a 20-17 Southeastern Conference victory over bitter rival Mississippi State.
It was the fourth time in the last five years that the Rebels (4-8, 2-6 SEC West) won the famed "Egg Bowl." Saturday's contest marked the 103rd time the in-state rivals have squared off.
Ole Miss owned a three-point advantage with 3:29 remaining when Green, a 5-10 freshman, recorded his second TD return of the season to make it 20-10.
Mississippi State (3-9, 1-7 West) answered just 69 seconds later on Omarr Conner's eight-yard TD strike to Jason Husband, but the Bulldogs could not get over the hump.
Brent Schaeffer completed 9-of-19 passes for 131 yards and a TD for the Rebels, who took the lead for good on Joshua Shene's 20-yard field goal with three minutes left in the third quarter.
BenJarvus Green-Ellis ran for just 37 yards on 17 carries while Greg Hardy had a 23-yard TD catch in the first quarter for Ole Miss, which improved to 59-38-6 all-time in this rivalry.
Conner went 16-of-31 for 162 yards and one interception while Anthony Dixon ran for 125 yards and a TD on 25 carries for Mississippi State, which has not won here since 1998.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Ole Miss coach was 'shocked' by Tunsil comments at NFL draft May 5
- Ole Miss to investigate Tunsil's comments on receiving cash Apr 29
- Satellite camp debate puts spotlight on new NCAA governance Apr 21
- Mississippi's NCAA case receives 30-day extension Apr 21
- Plenty of QB competition in SEC's Western Division Apr 19
- Not much separation in Mississippi State's 4-man QB race Apr 16
- Mississippi State signee Simmons facing charges after fight Mar 29
- Tunsil puts up big bench press numbers at Ole Miss pro day Mar 28
- Prescott's breathalyzer tests inconclusive after DUI arrest Mar 15
- Ex-Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott arrested on DUI charge Mar 13
- Mississippi State QB Prescott shows off arm for NFL execs Mar 10
- Florida's McElwain praises Harbaugh for 'pressing envelopes' Mar 9