Serna boots Oregon State past Oregon in "Civil War"Nov 25, 2006 - 1:11 AM CORVALLIS, Oregon (Ticker) -- Alexis Serna is arguably the best kicker in Oregon State history. On Friday, he cemented a place in school lore by booting the shot heard 'round the "Beaver State."
Serna drilled a 40-yard game-winning field goal with just over a minute remaining to lift Oregon State to a 30-28 Pac-10 Conference victory over bitter rival Oregon in the annual "Civil War."
It was the sixth win in the last seven games for the Beavers (8-4, 6-3 Pac-10), who improved to 45-55-10 all-time in the yearly battle.
A junior and Lou Groza Award contender, Serna has 280 career points, second-highest in school history. The diminutive kicker converted field goals of 49 and 50 yards but saved his best for last.
With the Beavers trailing by one on the wet and slippery turf at Reser Stadium, Serna capped a six-play, 58-yard drive with his 40-yarder, giving OSU a 30-28 lead with 1:12 left and prompting a wild celebration on the sidelines.
After a long kickoff return, Oregon had a chance to win. But Matt Evensen's 44-yard attempt was blocked by Ben Siegert with 20 seconds remaining.
Matt Moore completed 16-of-27 passes for 255 yards and a touchdown for Oregon State, which squandered a 13-point lead over the final six minutes but won its fifth straight home meeting with Oregon.
Moore's favorite target was junior Sammie Stroughter, who had eight receptions for 114 yards. Yvenson Bernard rushed for 68 yards and a score on 22 carries for the Beavers, who yielded 427 total yards but forced a pair of turnovers.
Brady Leaf was 25-of-42 for 274 yards, a TD and an interception while Jonathan Stewart ran for 94 yards and three scores on 17 carries for the Ducks (7-5, 4-5), who have not won here since 1996.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Ducks give fans a glimpse of QBs in spring game Apr 30
- Oregon's Brown looks to return after horrifying injury Apr 19
- Utah coordinator Morgan Scalley focused on smarter defense Apr 19
- Villamin sees Oregon State's receivers on the right track Apr 16
- Quarterbacks again a focus for Oregon State Apr 14
- Former starting QB Seth Collins rejoins Beavers, will be WR Apr 11
- Oregon State holds scrimmage for Portland-area fans Apr 9
- New coordinators in spotlight as spring football blooms Feb 23
- Cal Poly to face Oregon State in 2019 Feb 17
- Towson adds former Oregon QB Mahalak Feb 8
- Oregon RB Thomas Tyner takes medical retirement Feb 6
- Pac-12 football recruiting team capsules Feb 3