Redskins flirt with disaster, but win on Gano's OT bootNov 22, 2010 - 12:18 AM
Gano, who missed a 47-yarder at the end of regulation, got another chance after the Titans failed on their first offensive try of overtime. Donovan McNabb was instrumental in helping the Redskins get into field goal range in the extra period.
Starting at their own 13-yard line, McNabb connected with Chris Cooley for a 26-yard pass and two plays later, an unnecessary roughness call on the Titans plus a replay reversal of an interception gave the 'Skins possession on their own 42.
Tennessee was then flagged for a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty that moved the ball to the Titans' 43. After a short run and 10-yard completion to Santana Moss, the Redskins had it on the 31. Washington (5-5) could only pick up another yard before Gano came on and split the uprights for the game- winning kick.
"Before I even looked up, I knew it was going in," Gano said.
McNabb completed 30-of-50 passes for 376 yards with one touchdown and an interception for Washington, which recovered from a 59-28 rout to Philadelphia on Monday and snapped a two-game losing streak.
Clinton Portis returned from missing the last five games with a groin injury and had five carries for 32 yards before leaving after suffering a setback. Keiland Williams took over for Portis and rushed for 68 yards. Moss finished with six catches for 106 yards with a TD, while Cooley had seven receptions for 91 yards in the victory.
Vince Young threw for 165 yards on 12-of-16 efficiency, but left late in the third quarter with a left thumb injury for the Titans (5-5), who had won 12 consecutive regular-season games against NFC foes and have now dropped three straight overall. Rookie Rusty Smith came in for Young and completed 3-of-9 passes for 62 yards and one interception. Chris Johnson rushed for 130 yards on 21 carries, while Nate Washington pulled in five catches for 117 yards.
"This team battled, but I don't think this team played smart," Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said. "You don't win a game in overtime with three penalties. I'm very disappointed."
Tied at 10-10 at halftime, Rob Bironas' 32-yard effort gave Tennessee the lead on its first offensive try of the third quarter, but Gano booted a 40-yarder on the Redskins ensuing possession with just under four minutes left in the third.
After Young went down with the thumb injury when he hit his hand on a helmet, Smith took over and was unable to help generate any points, then led the Titans on a seven-play, 72-yard drive that was finished off with a 40-yard Bironas field goal to put the hosts in front 16-13 with 8:40 to play in the fourth.
The Redskins countered with a 42-yarder from Gano with nearly 5 1/2 minutes left to even things at 16-all.
After each side came up empty, Washington had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation, McNabb got his squad into field goal range at the 29, but Gano's 47-yarder was short and the game went into overtime.
Tennessee wasted good field position on its opening driving when Young fumbled on the second play of the series at the Washington 17, but the Titans opened the scoring with 8:18 left in the first quarter when Marc Mariani returned a punt 87 yards for a score.
The Redskins responded on their ensuing possession, going 79 yards on eight plays to tie the game. McNabb connected with Moss down the near sideline for 48 yards. After a brief review ruled a completed catch and fumble out of bonds, Washington had it on the Tennessee 31. The Redskins then picked up a pair of first downs before McNabb hit Moss for a five-yard touchdown with 5:02 remaining in the first.
Each side exchanged field goals in the second quarter, as Gano connected on a 19-yard chip shot, finishing off a 15-play, 72-yard drive to give the Redskins a 10-7 advantage.
However, Bironas converted a 25-yarder on the Titans next possession that ended a lengthy series with 3:31 left in the half. Gano's 51-yard miss as time expired kept it a 10-10 game at the intermission.
Tennessee visits Houston next Sunday, while Washington hosts Minnesota...The Redskins were without safety LaRon Landry (Achilles) and cornerback Carlos Rogers (hamstring)...Despite the loss, Tennessee still leads the all-time series with Washington, 6-5...Titans wide receiver Randy Moss was thrown to three times, but finished without a catch...In addition to Portis, Washington had several players leave early with injuries, including cornerback DeAngelo Hall (back), center Casey Rabach (knee), offensive lineman Derrick Dockery (knee), linebackers Lorenzo Alexander (hamstring), Rocky McIntosh (thigh) and safety Anderson Russell (knee). Redskins running back Chad Simpson (foot) was hurt in pregame warmups and did not play.
- WASHINGTON: 19
Final - OT
Nov 21 4:28 PM
- Washington Field Goal - 48-yarder by Graham Gano.
Washington 19, Titans 16 OT - 8:17Nov 21 4:28 PM
- WASHINGTON: 16
End of Regulation
Nov 21 4:05 PM
- Washington Field Goal - 42-yarder by Graham Gano.
Washington 16, Titans 16 4th - 5:24Nov 21 3:44 PM
- Tennessee Field Goal - 40-yarder by Rob Bironas.
Washington 13, Titans 16 4th - 8:40Nov 21 3:35 PM
- WASHINGTON: 13
End of 3rd
Nov 21 3:16 PM
- Washington Field Goal - 40-yarder by Graham Gano.
Washington 13, Titans 13 3rd - 3:55Nov 21 3:03 PM
- Tennessee Field Goal - 32-yarder by Rob Bironas.
Washington 10, Titans 13 3rd - 9:10Nov 21 2:53 PM
- WASHINGTON: 10
Nov 21 2:27 PM
- Tennessee Field Goal - 25-yarder by Rob Bironas.
Washington 10, Titans 10 2nd - 3:31Nov 21 2:12 PM
- Washington Field Goal - 19-yarder by Graham Gano.
Washington 10, Titans 7 2nd - 10:38Nov 21 1:57 PM
- WASHINGTON: 7
End of 1st
Nov 21 1:45 PM
- Graham Gano extra point is good.
Washington 7, Titans 7 1st - 5:02Nov 21 1:35 PM
- Washington Touchdown - Donovan McNabb pass to Santana Moss for 5 yards.
Washington 6, Titans 7 1st - 5:02Nov 21 1:35 PM
- Rob Bironas extra point is good.
Washington 0, Titans 7 1st - 8:18Nov 21 1:22 PM
- Tennessee Touchdown - Hunter Smith punted 45 yards from the Washington 42 to the Tennessee 13. Marc Mariani returned for 87 yards.
Washington 0, Titans 6 1st - 8:18Nov 21 1:20 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Nov 21 1:04 PM
- Titans agree to terms with 8th pick overall Jack Conklin May 23
- Poll: 9 in 10 Native Americans not offended by Redskins name May 19
- Redskins' Cravens eager to learn how to be an NFL linebacker May 18
- Undrafted rookie retires days after signing with Titans May 17
- Redskins release wide receiver Andre Roberts May 17
- Panthers release CB Brandon Boykin; sign 5 tryout players May 16
- Titans waive Mettenberger, clearing space for 4 new signees May 16
- Redskins CB Fuller forced to be patient after knee surgery May 14
- Derrick Henry starts settling in at Titans rookie minicamp May 13
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Running back Derrick Henry already turning Titans' heads May 11
- Redskins sign 6 of 7 draft picks, including Josh Doctson May 9