Dawson's FG sends Browns past DolphinsDec 5, 2010 - 11:56 PM
With just over a minute remaining, the Dolphins were deep in their own territory and not having much success. The game seemed destined for overtime, but Henne's pass was blocked and bounced to Browns defensive back Mike Adams.
Adams returned the ball to the two-yard line, and after Cleveland knelt the ball three times to run the clock down, Dawson kicked a 23-yard try through the uprights to give the Browns (5-7) their second consecutive win.
"We've been in every single game [this season]. We've lost some close ones, so it's nice to win these close ones. I'm looking for a continuation along that path," Browns head coach Eric Mangini said.
Jake Delhomme, starting his second game in a row in place of injured rookie Colt McCoy, completed 24-of-34 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown to Benjamin Watson. The tight end finished with 10 catches for 100 yards.
Henne passed for 174 yards and a score on 16-of-32 efficiency, but was intercepted three times as the Dolphins (6-6) fell to 1-5 at home this season. They played without wideout Brandon Marshall, who was inactive with a hamstring injury.
"I'm disappointed we weren't able to capitalize on some situations during the course of the game," Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano said. "There's some good things out there, but at the end of the day, if you turn the ball over three times in close games you're going to lose.
Dan Carpenter set a Miami franchise record by kicking a 60-yard field goal, though had a 41-yard attempt blocked on the game's opening drive.
The struggling offenses then engaged in a series of possessions that ended in punts. Of the teams' 14 first-half drives, eight ended in a punt and two ended with a Henne interception. His second pick came when he threw off-the-mark to Davone Bess and Abram Elam came down with the ball.
Elam returned the pick 18 yards to the Miami 28, and the Browns reached the 14 before Dawson kicked a 32-yard try with 1:43 left.
The Dolphins got on the board thanks to Carpenter's 60-yarder, which had just enough distance to get past the crossbar with two seconds on the clock.
Cleveland's only touchdown drive occurred late in the third quarter, when the Browns went 94 yards in six plays. The biggest gain was Delhomme's 37-yard pass to Mohamed Massaquoi, while Delhomme found Watson for a three-yard touchdown with 1:16 remaining.
Miami countered with its own TD drive, an 11-play, 80-drive progression. Henne finished it nearly five minutes into the final quarter with an 11-yard pass to tight end Anthony Fasano.
Browns rookie cornerback Joe Haden recorded an interception for the fourth consecutive game. That is the longest streak by a Browns player since Ernie Kellerman had a pickoff in six consecutive games in 1968...Dawson recorded the 14th game-winning field goal of his career...Cleveland linebacker Titus Brown left the game with a head injury and did not return...The Dolphins have lost three in a row to the Browns.
- CLEVELAND: 13
Dec 5 3:55 PM
- CLEVELAND: 13
End of Regulation
Dec 5 3:55 PM
- Dan Carpenter extra point is good.
Browns 10, Dolphins 10 4th - 10:27Dec 5 3:18 PM
- Miami Touchdown - Chad Henne pass to Anthony Fasano for 11 yards.
Browns 10, Dolphins 9 4th - 10:27Dec 5 3:17 PM
- CLEVELAND: 10
End of 3rd
Dec 5 3:10 PM
- Phil Dawson extra point is good.
Browns 10, Dolphins 3 3rd - 1:16Dec 5 3:05 PM
- Cleveland Touchdown - Jake Delhomme pass to Benjamin Watson for 3 yards.
Browns 9, Dolphins 3 3rd - 1:16Dec 5 3:04 PM
- CLEVELAND: 3
Dec 5 2:23 PM
- Miami Field Goal - 60-yarder by Dan Carpenter.
Browns 3, Dolphins 3 2nd - 0:02Dec 5 2:21 PM
- Cleveland Field Goal - 32-yarder by Phil Dawson.
Browns 3, Dolphins 0 2nd - 1:43Dec 5 2:10 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
End of 1st
Dec 5 1:33 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 5 1:02 PM
- Jaguars' Fowler returns, ready for bigger role after injury May 23
- Browns cut veteran WR Brian Hartline May 23
- Former Browns center Tom DeLeone dies at age 65 May 22
- Browns' Haden sheds walking boot, eager for healthier season May 18
- Veteran DE Jason Jones signs with Dolphins May 16
- AP source: Jones in final stages of talks with Dolphins May 13
- Browns sign rookie wide receiver Corey Coleman, first pick May 13
- 'Believeland' film examines Cleveland's deep sports passion May 13
- Ex-NFL player denies Ohio golf course assault charges May 10
- Raiders sign free-agent DE Damontre Moore May 10
- Cleveland Browns' player is Ohio teen's surprise prom date May 8
- Wake signs $15 million, 2-year deal with Dolphins May 7