McGee leads game-winning drive for CowboysAug 12, 2011 - 5:56 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Stephen McGee led a 65-yard drive on the final Dallas possession, throwing a 13-yard touchdown pass to Dwayne Harris with 15 seconds remaining and adding a two-point conversion to lift the Cowboys over the Denver Broncos, 24-23, in their preseason opener.
McGee was 14-of-24 for 208 yards and three touchdowns, seeing most of the snaps behind Tony Romo and Jon Kitna, who were a combined 6-for-9 for 56 yards.
Harris finished with five catches for 127 yards and two fourth-quarter touchdowns, including one for 76 yards.
Kyle Orton played one series before giving way to Tim Tebow, completing just two of his six passes for 37 yards.
Tebow, the center of a growing quarterback controversy after the Broncos failed to trade him, went 6-of-7 for 91 yards, including a 43-yard pass that helped set up a field goal in the second quarter.
"It was a lot of fun to get hit, to go play the game you love and get tackled and run around and have fun, that was pretty nice," said Tebow. "I felt more confident in my reads and my decisions and for the most part I think I did the right things. Still room for improvement."
Brady Quinn played the second half and went 8-for-14 for 120 yards and a touchdown.
The Broncos played their first game under new head coach John Fox, who was fired after nine seasons in Carolina and is tasked with turning around a team that went 4-12 last season -- their worst in the NFL.
Jason Garrett is beginning his first full campaign as head coach of the Cowboys after replacing Wade Phillips midway through last season.
Dallas was just 6-10, forced to play its last 10 games without Romo after the starting quarterback broke his left collarbone. Romo went 3-for-5 for 33 yards against the Broncos.
"It was nice to win," said Garrett. "There's so many things you're trying to accomplish in the preseason, but line 1 is you're trying to win games, you're trying to teach your team how to win."
Matt Prater kicked three field goals for Denver in the first half, including one from 42 yards. David Buehler kicked a 42-yarder for the Cowboys, who headed into the break trailing 9-3 but took a 10-9 lead in the third quarter on McGee's six-yard touchdown pass to Raymond Radway.
The teams traded touchdowns -- and the lead -- in the fourth. Jeremiah Johnson ran for a 13-yard score to put the Broncos ahead 16-10 before McGee and Harris connected on a 76-yard score -- the kick was aborted, leaving the game tied at 16-16.
After Eron Riley caught an eight-yard TD pass from Quinn to put the Broncos back on top, 23-16, McGee went 5-for-7 on the decisive drive, culminating in his 13-yard strike to Harris and a two-point conversion pass to Martin Rucker.
No. 2 overall draft pick Von Miller, the star linebacker from Texas A&M, had two tackles for the Broncos.
- DENVER: 23
Aug 11 11:37 PM
- == Preseason == Dallas Touchdown - 13-yard pass from Stephen McGee to Dwyane Harris. (Stephe
Broncos 23, Cowboys 24 4th - 0:15Aug 11 11:33 PM
- == Preseason == Denver Touchdown - 8-yard pass from Brady Quinn to Eron Riley. (Steven Hausc
Broncos 23, Cowboys 16 4th - 5:44Aug 11 11:25 PM
- == Preseason == Dallas Touchdown - 76-yard pass from Stephen McGee to Dwyane Harris. (kick a
Broncos 16, Cowboys 16 4th - 12:36Aug 11 11:07 PM
- == Preseason == Denver 13-yard run by Jeremiah Johnson. (Steven Hauschka kick).
Broncos 16, Cowboys 10 4th - 14:14Aug 11 11:05 PM
- DENVER: 9
End of 3rd
Aug 11 10:56 PM
- == Preseason == Dallas Touchdown - 6-yard pass from Stephen McGee to Raymond Radway. (David
Broncos 9, Cowboys 10 3rd - 4:09Aug 11 10:38 PM
- DENVER: 9
Aug 11 10:00 PM
- == Preseason == Denver Field Goal - 26-yarder by Matt Prater.
Broncos 9, Cowboys 3 2nd - 0:23Aug 11 9:57 PM
- == Preseason == Denver Field Goal - 42-yarder by Matt Prater.
Broncos 6, Cowboys 3 2nd - 6:59Aug 11 9:31 PM
- DENVER: 3
End of 1st
Aug 11 9:08 PM
- == Preseason == Dallas Field Goal - 42-yarder by David Buhler.
Broncos 3, Cowboys 3 1st - 4:11Aug 11 8:59 PM
- == Preseason == Denver Field Goal - 25-yarder by Matt Prater.
Broncos 3, Cowboys 0 1st - 9:05Aug 11 8:48 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 11 8:37 PM
- George Farrar Even thought it Pre-Season...Cowboyz got this...I just want the new guys to show me what they got...Also, I need the D to have a better ass-kicking attitude...It started tomorrow night...If they control supposed to Allmighty not pringed nothing yet Tebow..The Bronco's savior then they will give me little hope...Cause, he will be trying to impressed tomorrow night...Cowboyz's D show him to not sleep on my boyz.
Broncos vs. CowboysAug 11 12:08 AM
- Dallas Cowboys sign injured linebacker Jaylon Smith May 20
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Cowboys sign 1st-round pick RB Elliott to $25M, 4-year deal May 18
- Broncos elect Elam, Fletcher, Lynch to Ring of Fame May 17
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Monday's Sports in Brief May 17
- Heuerman eager to get on the field after sitting out '15 May 16
- Mark Sanchez undergoes thumb surgery on non-throwing hand May 16
- Broncos add linebacker Dekoda Watson May 16
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Kyle Kragen follows in his father's cleats with Broncos May 13
- Seahawks' Lockette steps away after injury: 'Life goes on' May 12