Reid-led Eagles edge SteelersAug 10, 2012 - 4:09 AM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Just two days after burying his oldest son, Andy Reid was on the sideline Thursday night coaching his Philadelphia Eagles against the Pittsburgh Steelers in preseason action.
Alex Henery's 51-yard field goal with 12 seconds remaining lifted the Eagles over the Steelers, 24-23.
Tragedy struck the Eagles family this past weekend when Reid's son, Garrett, was found dead in his dormitory room Sunday morning at the club's training camp facility at Lehigh University. Reid and his family laid their eldest son to rest on Tuesday, and the coach returned to the practice field the next day.
A moment of silence was observed for Reid's son prior to Thursday's game. In addition, the Eagles players wore a sticker with the initials "GR" on the back of their helmets.
"I'd like to thank the fans for their support. I take it as a compliment to my son and my family," Reid said.
The Eagles received a scare early in the second quarter when Michael Vick banged his left thumb off the helmet of center Jason Kelce. X-rays taken at halftime came back negative. He completed 3-of-4 passes before exiting.
"I was just hoping that it wasn't anything severe," Vick said. "I was just praying that the season didn't get off to a horrible start. I'm thankful that I got my feeling back. It swelled up a bit, but it feels better now."
Third-string quarterback Nick Foles, drafted by the Eagles in the third round of this year's draft, completed 6-of-10 passes for 144 yards and two touchdowns. Trent Edwards connected on 12-of-20 passes for 106 yards and a touchdown.
Damaris Johnson, Mardy Gilyard and Jamel Hamler caught touchdown passes for Philadelphia, which missed the playoffs last season after posting an 8-8 record.
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who's been bothered by a minor rotator cuff tear in his throwing shoulder, completed 7-of-8 passes for 49 yards during his lone series of the game. Byron Leftwich and Jerrod Johnson each threw a touchdown pass.
Emmanuel Sanders and Chris Rainey caught touchdown passes for Pittsburgh, which lost to the Broncos in the first round of the playoffs last year.
- PITTSBURGH: 23
Aug 9 10:50 PM
- == Preseason == Philadelphia Field Goal - 51-yarder by Alex Henery.
Steelers 23, Eagles 24 4th - 0:12Aug 9 10:47 PM
- == Preseason == Pittsburgh Field Goal - 43-yarder by Dannny Hrapmann.
Steelers 23, Eagles 21 4th - 1:57Aug 9 10:39 PM
- == Preseason == Philadelphia Touchdown - 16-yard pass from Trent Edwards to Jamel Hamler. (A
Steelers 20, Eagles 21 4th - 5:26Aug 9 10:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 20
End of 3rd
Aug 9 9:58 PM
- == Preseason == Pittsburgh Touchdown - 57-yard pass from Jerrod Johnson to Chris Rainey. (Da
Steelers 20, Eagles 14 3rd - 2:57Aug 9 9:52 PM
- == Preseason == Philadelphia Touchdown - 44-yard pass from Nick Foles to Mardy Gilyard. (Ale
Steelers 13, Eagles 14 3rd - 5:52Aug 9 9:43 PM
- == Preseason == Philadelphia Touchdown - 70-yard pass from Nick Foles to Damaris Johnson. (A
Steelers 13, Eagles 7 3rd - 7:49Aug 9 9:31 PM
- == Preseason == Pittsburgh Field Goal - 31-yarder by Shaun Suisham.
Steelers 13, Eagles 0 2nd - 1:41Aug 9 8:47 PM
- == Preseason == Pittsburgh Touchdown - 2-yard pass from Byron Leftwich to Emmanuel Sanders.
Steelers 10, Eagles 0 2nd - 11:10Aug 9 8:18 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 3
End of 1st
Aug 9 8:10 PM
- == Preseason == Pittsburgh Field Goal - 46-yarder by Shaun Shaun Suisham.
Steelers 3, Eagles 0 1st - 5:12Aug 9 7:57 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 9 7:38 PM
- Former NFL player Tim Tebow writing book on 'life's storms' May 18
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Steelers sign tight end David Johnson to 1-year deal May 17
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Carson Wentz kicks off his NFL career at rookie camp May 13
- QB Carson Wentz signs four-year contract with the Eagles May 12
- Eagles hire Joe Douglas, Andy Weidl to lead personnel staff May 12
- Burfict, Jones take Bengals-Steelers rivalry to soccer May 10
- Buffalo Bills claim running back Dri Archer off waivers May 10
- Bradford returns to Eagles, says he's committed to team May 9
- Chiefs wrap 3-day rookie minicamp with plenty of questions May 9
- Australians Edwards, Hackett take aim at Jets' punting job May 7